3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Java Question (XP sp3)

I am running the Secunia package on my home system to keep up with software vulnarabilities. I have one software vulnarability with JAVA.

I am not a Java person so not real sure which of the JAVA parts are "vulnarable" and which are not. Several JAVA parts show up in ctl panel uninstall listing.

Question is this, if I just uninstall everything and go back to the web site to get new versions - What should I download. I don't do any JAVA development and just want what ever "parts" other software needs.

Not a big problem - just housekeeping after fianally getting Windows Update fixed.

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Java Question (XP sp3)

If you go to java.com: Java + You and click on the "Free Java Download" button the next page will allow you to check the Java version on your machine. You usually only need the most current version of Java installed which is Jave 6U7. You may uninstall prior versions especially the prior version 6 releases.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe

Is there any way to know what needs Java?

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

For a locally installed application, only by looking for the system requirements section of a readme or something similar. For the internet there is no good way before you access a page.

Joe
    Joe