Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Run program automatically...

A co-worker of mine has written a VBS program that will email a message to me, when it has been launched. Originally, I had planned to place this program in the All Users Startup group so that it would be run upon a user logging into the PC / Server. However, my problem is that I need this to be run after a PC (or Server) has come back online from a reboot or shutdown, whether it is logged in or not.

Can anyone suggest an idea on how I might go about doing this?
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Run program automatically...

Hi Chris

I wrote a bit of VBS a few months ago that I call heartbeat. The basic story was I wanted to monitor the web services and SQL service on a series on servers. The server was listed in a text file with the corresponding service

As an error check I had my script check IISAdmin on 127.0.0.1, maybe you could get your code to check against 127.0.0.1 as this service will only be running when the person has logged in. I have the code if you think this sounds a goer
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is your problem getting the script to run even if no one logs in?

There is a GPO option to add a script that runs on Startup. You can find it in the Group Policy Editor in Computer Configuration > (Scripts) Startup / Shutdown

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (22.2 KB, 0 views)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for Stuart - Thanks. I've tested it on my own workstation, and it works like a charm. Now to move it to the server(s) in question.

And Jerry, thanks for your suggestion, however as I don't fully understand exactly what it is you're doing with that (and Stuart's is much easier to figure out for me)... I'm using his suggestion (unless it doesn't work).
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

And just to follow-up to close the loop, the server in question has responded as desired with the group policy.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Christopher Baldrey