Thread: Wake up problem

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wake up problem

I have a Compaq 2170US laptop. running XP home SP-3.
    If I want to pause using the computer for a while, I shut the computer and I guess it goes into sleep mode.
    If I open it a short time later and move my mouse it comes on.
    If I don't open it for say 30 minutes or more, sometimes it won't come back on.
    I seem to have to reboot.
    Is this normal or is there a way get it to wake up?

Thanks,

John So.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wake up problem

Can you look in Control Panel > Power Options and tell us what settings you haveon the Power Schemes tab for "System Standby", "System Hibernates".
    Then look in the advanced tab and see what it says for "When I close the lid...", "When I press the power button" and "When I press the sleep button"
    Finally tell us whether "Enable hibernation" is checked on the Hibernate tab

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power schemes - Portable/laptop
    Turn off monitor - 2 hrs
    Turn off hard disks - 3 hrs
    System standby - 3 hrs
    Close lid - Stand by
    Press power button - Shut down
    Hibernate not checked

Note I only use my laptop on AC power.
    Also should I leave the battery in or remove it?

Thanks for your help,

John So

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like your laptop is set to go into standby when you shut the lid, and doesn't use hibernate at all. This should work the way you expect.
    When it is in Standby it needs power to maintain memory contents, is it always plugged in during this time? Running out of battery power would certainly cause it to need a reboot.

Otherwise I'm really not sure. Is there any consistent pattern to when it does wake up and when it doesn't?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I leave it plugged in.
    I don't know if there is a pattern, only seems if I leave the lid closed for over 30 minutes it won't come on.

Could you tell something about the difference between stand by and hibernate?
    Which should I set it on?

Should I leave the battery in, when I'm using it on AC?

Should I set the Power schemes to something other than laptop?

John So

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hibernate copies the contents of memory to the hard drive and then powers off the PC.
    When you reboot, Windows detects the hibernate data on the disk and restores it so you can continue.
    It takes a minute or so to hibernate and a minute or so to recover from hibernation

Standby saves the internal CPU state and then powers down many parts of the computer, but keeps power to the memory. When you restart from standby many of the devices and interfaces need to be reset, and Windows then restores the internal CPU state and continues. Entering standby takes a few seconds and recovering from standby takes a 10 to 30 seconds.

If you are in Standby state then there is some drain on the power. Typically you should only leave the computer in Standby for a few hours. You should use hibernation if you need a longer time. Hibernation does not use any power.

> Should I leave the battery in, when I'm using it on AC?
    It is best to leave the battery in when using AC, as this keeps the battery charged.

> Should I set the Power schemes to something other than laptop?
    Each power scheme is just a name. You can have multiple power schemes and each one has a different setting of the parameters on that tab of the control.

You could try using power scheme that doesn't turn off any devices to see if that helps Standby work better.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, good info.

John So

Thanks

It takes longer to restore your system from Hibernation, but I found Standby to be flaky in earlier versions of Windows, so I always change the settings to use Hibernation.

Recently there was some research on the security implications of Standby and Hibernation: certain Windows credentials that are supposed to be available only to one user might be accessible from memory if one of these modes is used rather than shutting down Windows. However, if you do not travel with your laptop, then that problem probably is not relevant.