5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADO Add Record (VBA 6)

I'm using VBA to add a record to a data table which I have successfully created. I've been successful with adding a record... until I attempt to do so with a function and variables.

The .Execute line, below, works well. I'm having trouble when I use a variable instead of the literal string enclosed in single quotes. The code which fails is below, commented out. I've tried using a variable for the comma (x = Chr$(44)) as well as $#44.

What must I do? Thanks.

.Execute ("INSERT INTO tblQuick([OneUniqueID], [Two], [Three], [Four], [Five], [Six]) " & _
    "VALUES('one', 'two', 'three', 'four', 'five', 'six' );")

' .Execute ("INSERT INTO tblQuick([OneUniqueID], [Two], [Three], [Four], [Five], [Six]) " & _
    ' "VALUES(" & strQLName & "," & strTo & "," & strCC & "," & strBCC & "," & strRe & "," & strSalutation & ");")

Thanks

Re: ADO Add Record (VBA 6)

You are missing the apostrophes:
    <pre>Execute ("INSERT INTO tblQuick([OneUniqueID], [Two], [Three], [Four], [Five], [Six]) " & _
    "VALUES('" & strQLName & "','" & strTo & "','" & strCC & "','" & strBCC & _
    "','" & strRe & "','" & strSalutation & "');")</pre>

Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand now. Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

May I ask another question? (I'm new to ADO.) I'd like to create a record set. My code doesn't raise an error, but the record count is -1, which tells me something is wrong. There are 16 records in the table, about half of which have Richard in the name field. I assume my problem is with strSQL. Can you offer any advice? Thanks.

Dim dbConnectStr As String
    Dim conn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim dbPath As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset

dbPath = "C:richardTestDB.mdb"
    dbConnectStr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & dbPath & ";"

strSQL = "Select * from tblQuick where Name = 'Richard' "

Set conn = New ADODB.Connection

conn.ConnectionString = dbConnectStr
    conn.Open

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open strSQL, conn
    MsgBox rs.RecordCount

Thanks

Depending on the type of recordset, the RecordCount property can be misleading: -1 means undetermined rather than an error or no records. You may find that if you use rs.movelast and rs.movefirst before accessing the Recordcount, you will get an accurate answer. If you want to know if the recordset is empty, you can test its BOF or EOF property - if either is True when the recordset is opened, then it is empty.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Both BOF and EOF were False. rs.MoveLast raised an Automation Error; rs.MoveFirst did not. I was able to use rs.MoveNext and get the name and value of fields successfully. The recordset is definitely not empty... but do I need to worry about the Automation Error with MoveLast?

Richard

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 07-Sep-08 15:35. I should have included some kind of connection object... I added one.)</P>Different ADO Providers may have different default cursor types. For speed, a forward-only, read-only approach often is preferred. However, if you need to navigate forward and backward, then this is not useful and you need to request a different kind of cursor. Compare these examples:

<code>objRSA.CacheSize = 20
    objRSA.Open strSQL, objConn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText</code>

<code>objRSA.Open strSQL, objConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText</code>

Check out this article for a discussion of the issue: Understanding ADO's Default Cursor Type (Inside Access magazine, May 2001).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. That article provided a good explanation. I scrapped the XML plans and have decided on ADO. I think it's much more efficient, and I'm finding it easier than I expected.