Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Insert X-ref = insert graphic (2003)

This one's really got me baffled. I'm working on a regulation that includes a fair number of graphics that we label as "figure 2-1, figure 2-4, figure 6-1," and so on. When I insert a new figure in chapter 6, Word dutifully inserts the caption for the new graphic: "Figure 6-2." That works fine. I also have a table of figures near the front of the document. I let Word build the table via Insert >> Reference >> Index and Tables...." At some point, I did something screwy with regard to figure 6-1, "Sample of a completed such and such." When I update the table of figures, figure 6-1 and its caption both appear in the table of figures!

Till now, I've simply deleted the rogue figure from the table of figures. That leaves me with one line in the table of figures that's formatted differently from all the other entries. I fix that with the format painter. I've been putting up with this behavior for days, but the fun is wearing a bit thin. Just now, I inserted a cross-reference to figure 6-1 within the text of chapter 6. Guess what: Not only did I get the cross-reference to appear, but so did a copy of the figure itself—exactly the same thing I get when I update the table of figures.

I pressed ALT + F9 to see if there's something in the caption code, but it appears all my captions read the same:

<font face="Georgia">{ STYLEREF 1 s }-{ SEQ Figure * ARABIC s 1 }</font face=georgia>

I suppose I'll fix this problem by deleting figure 6-1 and then reinserting it afresh. But I'd love to know how to diagnose this weird little problem. Can any of my friends in this forum show me where I went astray...please. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Insert X-ref = insert graphic (2003)

I do not use this feature, but here's a thought. Is it possible that the TOF uses a bookmark that happens to contain both the caption and the figure? If you click in the relevant part of the table and press Shift+F9, perhaps a REF field will appear. If so, you can use Edit>Go To>Bookmark to see whether the figure and caption are selected together. If so, perhaps you can separate them. Make sure you turn on viewing of bookmarks first and be ready with the Undo key as it often is difficult to move things from inside bookmarks without moving the bookmark..

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Good morning, Jefferson, and thanks for the tip. I tried your suggestion, but could not see anything—no evidence of a bookmark embracing both the graphic and its caption. Whatever the case, I just deleted both the graphic and caption, then reinserted them. Now the TOF behaves properly. I'm still curious to know how I caused this odd behavior.

Oh, well.... Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you delete the problem caption from the document and then add it back in again?

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The TOF may be built using styles (t "Caption") OR the presence of a Figure Sequence (c "Figure") field switch - how yours is configured will vary the fix. Select your TOF and reveal the field code to work out which one is used.

If it is the style option then the fix is to check the paragraph style of the graphic itself and reset it to something other than Caption. if it is the latter then I would be looking to see if there is a paragraph marker before the caption or only a new line marker (soft return).

Depending on what type of cross reference you are placing, the fix for the TOF may be the same as the cross-reference fix but I suspect they are different issues. To correct the second problem of the cross-reference including the figure you need to understand where your problem is coming from. This is a bit complicated but is logical enough once you understand the way that Word creates cross-references and how bookmarks behave when people add content at the very start of the bookmark. Once you understand these things, it is easy to fix and also easy to avoid causing the same problem from recurring.
    See <post:=286,088>post 286,088</post:> - you should read this whole post but break #4 is likely to explain your cross reference issue
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, thank you for that very informative response. My apologies for not replying sooner. You may have read my most recent reply to StuartR, in which I mentioned that I'd fixed the problem the old-fashioned way, so to speak. I simply deleted the troublesome graphic and its caption, then reinserted the graphic from scratch. Yes, I'm sure something went awry when I first inserted the graphic—I just don't know what I did to cause the misbehavior.

However, your post opens the way to some new learning experiences. Only now, after more than 10 years of using Word, am I getting a firm grip on this application. I get great satisfaction from learning how to tame this monster, and I'm able to help other users at work. Most of what I know I've learned right here in the Lounge from people like you. Thank you!