Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import/Link Specifications II (2003)

Question 2 of 2:
    I have searched for some kind of VBA object that will "expose the functionality" of import/link/export specifications. Is the DoCmd TransferText the only way to create or edit them?
    The client's challenge to me is a series of old fixed-length text files with varying fixed lengths. Same fields, but different lengths! I have to operate on approx. 36 months of monthly text files. I would like a method that is different from single-stepping through the Import Wizard for every individual text file. (Of course, if these months were all uniformly designed, one specification would be sufficient, right?)
    Thanks very much.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import/Link Specifications II (2003)

How many different spec files are there?
    You can set them up manually of course, then run a series of TransferText commands to input them all.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat: So far there are about 12.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Can you make the files uniformly the same? If so it simplifies the job somewhat.

Can you identify all files that have the same file specs?

What you could do is setup all your differnet file spces then setup a table with text filename and spec name and use a loop to go thru all 36 files getting the file spec name from the temp table you have created. That way there is only one TransferText, however, this may take a bit of work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat:
    This is a 'remedial' project, where the existing data is inconsistent in its formatting and layout. Henceforth, I suspect, client will exert more control over what the source data looks like.

The good news is that I have finished those 36 months. The bad news: I did it manually. I see some of the more recent months' data, and so far it looks uniform enough to use just one import spec.

Thanks for your insights and thoughts.