3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph marks force reflow (2000 and 2003 SP3)

Two images are attached. The blue bordered screenshot shows the content in Print Layout View and the heading "Cosign" is at the top of a page. As soon as paragraph marks are displayed, that heading moves to the previous page as shown in the red bordered screenshot.

Can anyone tell me why this occurs and how to prevent it please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Paragraph marks force reflow (2000 and 2003 SP3)

Hi Peter,

I've never seen this work in reverse. Usually, turning Show on makes your document longer, not shorter.

I think, without looking through your document, that it will be hard to come up with a definitive "why" -- necessary for the how-not-to part. My guess is that there is ever-so-slightly more room at the bottom of the page with Show on, allowing the heading and text to flow up onto the previous page. It shouldn't print that way -- do a print preview and see what it looks like,

But if you really don't want it to look that way in Print Layout view (and lacking a clear reason as to why it's doing this), you could use the belt and suspender method -- with your cursor on the paragraph that should start on the next page, click on Format > Paragraph > Line and Page Breaks and tick the Page break before checkbox. But remember that you did this, in case you want it to appear at the bottom of the previous page in the future.

Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

An interesting problem which I have no explanation for. Whilst you can obviously correct this issue at print time it is going to remain a problem unless someone has a bright idea on why this is happening. You could check the other things that might also happen when you show the paragraph marks - is hidden text, white space characters etc becoming visible at the same time. Have you used hidden paragraphs to get inline headings earlier in your document. Another thing to verify is whether the difference REMAINS when you go to print preview or actually print it. The page number in the TOC is ultimately the most important thing for the user of the document - the pagination issues come second to that IMHO - do you get a different result there in either scenario?

Because I don't have a real explanation for you, I will suggest how I would deal with it. Generally, when pagination like this becomes an issue I look for the root cause of why it is an issue. Putting in a forced page break here is problematic because the issue is not really that you want the heading to start on a new page but that the following paragraph is not 'tall enough' to make the heading look like it is covering a substantial topic. It appears you have already included a keep with next on the heading and a widows/orphans on the body text so you are already most of the way there. So here I would select the paragraph immediately after the heading and format THAT paragraph to "Keep Together". This would solve your immediate problem and also the future problem if sufficient space appears to allow that heading AND the next paragraph back onto the preceding page.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kim and Andrew

Thank you for looking into this and the time you have given to considering the problem and suggesting solutions. For a while I was sitting here clicking the Show/Hide button in disbelief so it was reassuring to hear it puzzled you as well.

The line above the heading was part of the style. The idea was that anyone using the template would apply the heading and that would force the line across. However that was leading to some issues as in some situations the line did not look right. So with the nagging feeling that line could be involved in the problem, I removed it from the style. [Drum roll] the heading moved up to the page before. Then I introduced a LINE style to put the line across and visually the appearance is the same in the middle of the page, a line followed by the heading. Here though putting the line in pushed the heading onto the next page. I surrender.

Visually that is OK and it overcomes the second part of the problem. That was when the document was PDF'd using Acrobat 8, the line and style moved up the page. At least this way the doc and the pdf are the same.

Again thanks. This is truly the best Word forum around.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If might be worth looking at the Word Layout Options to see if there is anything there that could explain the behaviour you are experiencing. If you go to the Word Options > Advanced and scroll to the bottom, there is a large number of layout settings.

To see if any have an effect on the behaviour you describe, flick them all on and test the doc. If you do notice a difference, turn half off and try again. Doing this iteratively might lead you to a setting where your pagination is more stable.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can see Tools | Options but no Advanced button on any tab. Are you referring to Word 2003?

Thanks

Word Options > Advanced is for Word 2007

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Whoops, sorry about that - I forgot to look at the versions you were using.

The same compatibility options used to exist in those versions too and these sometimes resolved odd page layout behaviour. You should be able to find these settings in the Tools>Options (I think) dialog. Here is a link to the MSKB that describes the settings a bit. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288792

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will take a look. Thank you.