Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista-XP Workgroup (Vista Home Premium)

I'm late to the party(?), but I've finally come home with a Vista laptop -- and the forewarned headaches have begun at migraine level. My immediate need is to get Vista HP to play nicely on our home workgroup. My current situation is this:

1) All machines report the proper workgroup name (neither "MSHOME" nor "WORKGROUP," but a name we use in the household).

2) The Vista machine can see the XP Pro (SP3) machine in the network map -- but only has a "media device." (I assume this is the result of Windows Media Player finding the music on the XP machine the first night I fire it up.)

3) The Vista machine can PING the XP machine, but not vice-versa.

4) I tried loading LLDT on the XP SP3 machine, but I get the following error message:

<hr>KB922120 Setup Error

Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.

There is no need to install this update.

OK<hr>

I am following the dictum of the sages: "When in doubt, go to Woody's Lounge." Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Vista-XP Workgroup (Vista Home Premium)

Let's start with the basics, have you made any shares on the Vista machine, and do you have the same user names and passwords on BOTH the Vista and XP machine?

Is your network on the Vista machine declared as a "Private" or a "Public" network? It needs to be Private

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vista-XP Workgroup (Vista Home Premium)

Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. Responding seriatim:

1) Yes, there are shares on the Vista machine.

2) On the XP machine -- no, I don't have the same user names and passwords because it isn't "my" machine. But I could access them easily enough from another XP machine.

3) In Vista, the workgroup is declared to be PRIVATE.

I made a huge step of progress by digging into the very arcane innards of whatever version of Norton Internet Security came with the new Vista laptop, turning the workgroup into a "TRUSTED" network. Now I can see all the shares on the XP Pro machine. The XP machine still doesn't appear in the "map" mode (other than on the bottom of the window), but when I click on the "show all" link, it appears twice -- as a machine AND as a "media device." We're moving in the right direction. Thanks!