Star Lounger
    Thanks

Preservation of Fprmatting When Copying (2003)

Good afternoon.

I am replacing individual pages within multi-page documents. I am working through a separate program, which interfaces with Word to enable creation and utilization of customized documents. From this editing position, the only way to replace a page of a multi-page document is to copy the text from the new page, and paste it onto a blank page (or overwrite the existing text) in the multi-page document.

The new pages have columns, and therefore section breaks. On the original new document (meaning the the one containing the replacement text that needs to be copied), the section breaks are "Continuous". However, when the text is pasted into the multi-page document, they are converted to "Next Page" section breaks. This causes the text to be displaced differently, and the text gets pushed onto successive pages, which is not acceptable.

I have tried manually replacing the Next Page breaks with Continuous breaks. So far, the onbly way I have ben able to do that is to delete the Next Page break, then insert the Continuos break, Deletion of the Next Page break removes the column formatting of the text that preceded it, and skews the text placement. Since there are multiple sections of this type, manual reformatting would be a cumbersome task.

Why are the breaks changing from Continuous to /Next Page? (I tried clearing the formats on the destination page before pasting the new text, in case there is some residual formatting information on the page, but the same break conversion occurred.) Is there a way to preserve the spacing of the text when transferring the data in this manner?

Thankk you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Preservation of Fprmatting When Copying (2003)

Would it be possible to use a table instead of columns?

Otherwise, you'd have to insert an extra continous section break at the end of a multi-column section in the source document.
    After pasting, one continuous section break is converted to a next page section break, but the other isn't. So you can remove the next page section break and preserve the formatting. But it's still a tedious process.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Preservation of Fprmatting When Copying (2003)

Hans -

My apologies for the delayed acknowledgement.

A table may work, if I can avoid visible grid lines delineating the cells and rows.

I'll try your buffer section break idea in a couple of sections and see if it might be viable to do ut across the board.

Thank you.
    Kevin