Thread: Virtual PC 07

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Virtual PC 07

I spend a lot of my time using Access 2003, but I have a few clients who use Office 2007. So about 15 months ago I bought a new laptop with Vista Business and Office 2007.
    Since then I have kept it in the cupboard, and pulled it out if I want to test something in Access 2007.

I have now decided to make the change, and make this my primary computer. I am using it now.
    But I still need to work in Access 2003 most of the time, so I have both versions of Office installed. But you can't run both at the same time, and switching between them is a bit of a nuisance, so I decided to install Virtual PC 07, and put Windows XP pro and Office 03 into a virtual machine, and keep 07 for the Real one.

For the moment I would spend most of my working day in the Virtual PC, but use the real one for email, web browsing etc.

Firstly, is this a realistic plan? Can I freely share files between the two PCs. My email would need to access files on the Virtual PC, and also screen captures taken in the Virtual PC.

Secondly, once I added Virtual Machine Additions, the screen resolution within the Virtual PC dropped to 600 x 800, and colors to just 4 colors, with no option to change them. I found somewhere that the only solution to this is to uninstall Virtual PC 07, and instead use Virtual PC 05. Does anyone know anything about this solution, or have an alternative suggestion?
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Virtual PC 07

Well I took the plunge today.

Uninstalled Virtual PC 2007 SR1, then downloaded and installed Virtual PC 2007. (ie. without the update) and my problem with resolution and colors is fixed.

I have installed XP Pro, and it seems to work, shared some folders between the two machines, and that seems to work.

A screen capture taken in the Virtual Machine is available to paste into IrfanView on the real machine.

Next step is to install Office 2003 and see how that goes.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Virtual PC 07

This little project is still progressing, and looking promising. I have installed Office 03 within the Virtual PC, and that works OK so far.

I can run 03 and 07 at the same time.

The virtual PC has a network drive that points to my documents folder on the host, so there is no difficulty sharing files.

When the Virtual PC is closed, it can Remember its State, so you reboot to the same state in a few seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John