Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check Box from Control Toolbox format (2000 SR1)

I am trying to create a form for users to complete in Word. I have inserted check boxes from the Control Toolbox. They work, but I don't like the look of them: I managed to delete the text box space which inserts next to the check box, but the check box has some sort of shaded area above and below it that I can't get rid of. (The shaded areas don't print, but they are there in Print Layout view and in Print Preview.)

The Control Toolbox is new to me (can you tell?); I did look in the Properties for the checkbox but don't see anywhere to change this shading.

Thanks for any help, and Happy Friday!

Thanks

Re: Check Box from Control Toolbox format (2000 SR1)

Sorry, I don't know how to get rid of your shadows.

There are a number of ways to insert a checkbox in Word. They vary in complexity and usefulness. The simplest is a static checkbox which can be inserted using Insert => Symbol. Dynamic ones (click on it and it toggles) are a bit more complex. You may want to take a look at the Checkbox Template downloadable from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm> my download page</A> (addbalance.com/word/download/). This is a tutorial and an "Add-In" that can make adding one kind of dynamic checkbox to your documents a lot easier.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just to tack on to Charles' comments, it doesn't sound like you should be using the Checkbox from the Control Toolbox anyway - that one is very tough to work with.

If you are creating a form for users to complete, you probably are best off creating a protected form, in which case you can use the controls (including checkbox) that are available in the Forms toolbar.

Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Seconding Gary's comments.

The ActiveX controls I believe were intended to replace the "form" controls. Yes, they are potentially more powerful and flexible. I had a brief honeymmon with them. They caused several problems for me:
    1. When you were scrolling, the controls did not appear to scroll with the form- they remained fixed on the screen until the scrolling stopped.

2. Bloat. They added lots of space to documents, and they caused a corresponding- quite noticable- performance downgrade.

Having said that, I have used button controls in Excel quite succesfully- but for a template which was to be used as the basis for thousands of documents, and used frequently, they were not the best way to go.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, everyone. You've talked me out of it. When the checkboxes migrated into the document heading without being asked, I decided to go the more traditional (and familiar) route!

Charles - I tried to get into your download site on Friday, but was unable. I'll try again now. Thanks again!

Thanks

I had thought it was up all weekend. Ah, well, that is why I'm switching hosts. As soon as the new IPs propogate through the web I'll be online at my new home and hopefully the "I've been down so long it's starting to look like up to me" blues will be a thing of the past.

In the meantime here's my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kenyonck.addr.com/word/download/index.htm> backup page</A>.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin