Thanks

Shutdown and Power Off

On some of the PCs at work (elderly Eveshams and much newer Dell Optiplex 320s) I have been entirely unable to cause them to power off using the usual SHUTDOWN or PSSHUTDOWN programs, and they simply seem to go into Hibernate or Standby mode instead. All the other PCs, including several other Optiplex models, happily obey my command to power off. Of course clicking on the Shutdown button, or pressing the power button on the front panel, causes a 'real' powerdown on all PCs!

Following the execution of SHUTDOWN or PSSHUTDOWN, the Optiplex 320s actually turn out the light on the power button, but (like the Eveshams) can be woken from their 'resting' state by the usual Wake-on-Lan program (e.g. Depicus's WolCmd).

I'm just wondering whether anyone has come across this programmed power-off problem, and knows how to fix it. I've checked through all the BIOS settings, run several additional Shutdown/Powerdown programs to those mentioned above, and hunted on the internet, but I can't find anything that works.

I'm aware that this is significantly esoteric, but I live in hope! Thanks...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shutdown and Power Off

Batcher hello,
    I might be barking up the wrong tree here,as most of "you guys" are way ahead of me but,on my system (HP pavilion Vista Home Premium SP-1) Under Control panel /power options/ choose what power buttons do /define power buttons/etc. i can select the power settings (start menu) through the "drop downs" Hope this is of some help . Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Re: Shutdown and Power Off

Thanks Fred - I have similar options!

It's not buttons (either on-screen, or physically on the system unit) that I am having problems with, but programs which are supposed to cause these PCs to power-off, but in practice put them into hibernate/standby (it seems). I suspect a BIOS problem, but Dell are their usual helpful selves and Evesham have gone out of business!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...