2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I click on user to log in - it logs off (xp sp2)

HI

When I try and log in to XP on the welcome screen, it looks like it will log in, but two seconds later, it says closing network connections 'logging off'. After this it brings you back to the welcome screen . This happens with each user, I have tried logging in as the administrator with out any joy, I have also tried in safe mode. I have taken the hard drive out of the computer and attached it to another PC via usb so I could do virus scans on the hard drive. I did a few scans removing any virus that it pick up. I have tried running the repair from the XP install cd with out any joy. Could it be a issue with the login script ??

I have attached the hard drive to another PC, so I can browse all the files on the hard drive.

What else can I do, if you could help that would be great.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: When I click on user to log in - it logs off (xp sp2)

So, the drive did have one or more virus infections, huh? Did you make note of the names so we can check to see if the symptom you're now experiencing might be noted in the characteristics, or suggested work-arounds?

Let's see if any other Loungers have experience with this problem. I've not run into this one myself.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: When I click on user to log in - it logs off

Dam I just removed all the viruses - I am doing another set of scans, just to make sure.

But if anyone has any other ideas that would be great.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

avg picked up this: MSA.exe.vir

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This solved it.

Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
    (If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So did you find out what caused the initial problem? was it a virus? Any relevant info might help someone else with this in the future.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I go along with Jeff on this one! Since you seemed to indicate that the machine had MORE than one virus, I'd be very worried about what kind of contamination you may be sitting there with. I think you need to continue with your investigation and possible cleanup.