Thanks

Viewing metadata (Word 2003 )

A client of ours has a document that they suspect was changed recently, just this morning, and is trying to prove so. Is there a way to find out IF it was changed, and WHAT was changed? I searched these boards and found several ideas, including the properties section of the doc, recover text from any file. I also told the client to turn on track/view changes just to see if that would show anything. Does anyone have other ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Viewing metadata (Word 2003 )

Hi miladytn,

Unless you've got a backup copy, there's no way for sure of knowing what, if anything, was changed - or when.

Obviously, the 'last modified' date will let you know when the document was last updated (unless someone played around with the system date) and, on a multi-user system, the file ownership property will show who made that change.

If change-tracking was on at the time the document was changed, it might be possible to see what was changed, but not if the change was accepted, and switching that on now won't help identify the previous change.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Re: Viewing metadata (Word 2003 )

Thanks for the reply, Paul. The client is in the process of comparing the copy from backup with the suspected altered document. I tried to post my thanks last night but had a difficult time logging in and finally just gave up. Again, thank you!