3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table borders messed in PDF (Word 2003)

I have hit a problem in the way Adobe Acrobat creates the borders of Word table. If I create any table and apply coloured borders of any size, then in Acrobat they are faithfully reproduced. If however I then add background shading to a row, then the width of the left borders changes part way up and the top border is reduced. In Word the document still looks good, the problem is the PDF conversion. I realise this is a Word forum; the purpose of posting here is maybe someone can suggest a different way of applying shading that would prevent the problem. I don't believe I can be the first person to hit this problem. Also, I tried another PDF writer and that had the same problem so I might be blaming Acrobat unfairly, it might be the way Word sends the data to PDF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Table borders messed in PDF (Word 2003)

I don't know the answer, but it works OK for me. The attached was done with Word 2003, 1.5 point borders, 20% grey shading, and converted to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Ian.
    Based on your reply I tried some more testing and have eliminated the shading being the cause. It seems to be whether or not a margin is applied within the table. The problem goes away if I create a table from the toolbar icon but comes back if I apply margins. Now digging deeper into that. I would be interested to know if applying a 0.1 margin all round makes a difference to you, if you have time to test.
    Grateful for your help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not quite true above.
    Problem occurs with the combination of background shading and margins.

Thanks

I tried it with left and right paragraph indents of 0.1 cm (is that what you meant by margins?) applied to the top table but not to the bottom, and then created a PDF again, and it looks just the same as my first screenshot.

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian
    The tables are inserted via a macro that was recorded rather than written in the VBA editor. If you change the margins that way, then the VBA refers to TopPadding etc, so yes it is the same thing.

It is top margins that cause the problem and a setting of 0.2 would be more obvious. Without background shading, that will PDF OK but add shading and then I think you will see the problem.

Having identified the combination that was causing grief, I changed the approach. I reverted back to the default margins that Word applies by commenting those lines out. Then I added some spacing above and below the styles I use that are table specific. That gave me the same appearance but removed the problem.

It was seeing the table worked for you that put me on the right track so many thanks.

Thanks

I'm glad you worked it out!

Ian