4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

front cover in header (All)

Hi

I need to make a change to template so that the users would stop making changes to the front cover directly (i.e. should use a defined form). Anyway, I have been tasked to look into 'fixing' this issue. So I was thinking that this is what I would do:

The front cover currently is a section 1 with a backdrop image plus a properties table displayed over the image with various fields (3 titles, issue date & version, document status, author, etc). These fields are used in the footer of the document to identify the document properties. People are just changing the fields on the front cover with no regards to the footer - so the footer information is *incorrect* compared to the from the front cover.

I was thinking of doing this: move the front cover properties table to the header (i.e. the header for the front cover would have *two* text boxes - one for the background image and other to hold the table. This would mean that the users would not be able to directly change the properties.The text box holding the table would be transparent so that we can view the background image in the first text box. This is all fine and set up OK. The problem comes with *existing* documents. How do I transfer the front cover table information into the header textbox number 2 on the *fly* sort-of-speak? It seems I need to do the following when an existing document is opened:

1. Copy the contents of the properties table
    2. Remove the table from the front cover
    3. View headers and footers
    4. Insert a textbox number *2* in front of the existing textbox holding the background image
    5. Make textbox number 2 transparent
    6. Add the table (holding document properties) into the 2nd text box
    7. Set the textbox dimensions so that it is displayed correctly on the scree (i.e. left indent etc)

Is that possible to do on the fly? Is it possible to hold the *two textbox* information as the autotext entry & insert it as necessary? Is it possible to have a *single* textbox with both the image and the document properties table together & perhaps even store that in autotext entry?

Any help/suggestions highly welcomed. Perhaps there is a better way of doing this - then comments to that effect are also very welcome.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: front cover in header (All)

I'd place the image as a floating image in the page header of the first section, with the Text Wrap option set to Behind Text, and dragged to the position where you want it.
    You'd have to make sure that the header of the second section has "Same as Previous" turned off to prevent the picture from appearing there.

Leave the properties table in the body of the first page (i.e. not in the header).

You could apply a distinctive style to each of the data items, and use StyleRef fields in the page footer to create automatic links to the data items in the table.

Or use form fields (from the Forms toolbar) for the data items, with Calculate on Exit ticked in their properties, and with meaningful bookmark names. Use REF fields in the page footer to refer to the form fields. Finally, protect the document for forms, with only the first section protected.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: front cover in header (All)

Thanks Hans. I will take your comments on board.
    Thanks.
    Robie