5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Thunderbird Add-ons (Firefox 3)

I have installed Thunderbird but I haven't created any accounts or anything in it yet. I want to import everything I can from my Windows Mail and I need to install the ImportExportTools add-on for that. I have downloaded the ImportExportTools-1.7.1.2.xpi but I can't find any way to get Thunderbird to install it. The install instructions at http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html say to download the file and then go to Tools > Add-ons in Thunderbird to initiate the installation but when I do that the ImportExportTools file is not listed. I've tried storing it in several places, including under the Extensions folder for Thunderbird under Program Files.

Any idea where I should put this file or what I should do now?

Thanks,
    Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing Thunderbird Add-ons (Firefox 3)

In Thunderbird go to Tools > Add-ons, then click on the Install button and select the ImportExportTools-1.7.1.2.xpi file that you downloaded.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing Thunderbird Add-ons (Firefox 3)

Tony,

I thought that the Install button applied to the one item that was listed and highlighted in that window so I had not clicked it! When I clicked it it did seem to do the install as you suggested. However, now when I click in Tools > Import and select Mail in the next window I get a list of 4 items (Communicator 4.x, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express) and Windows Mail is not listed. Should I select one of those or is there something else I should do to get Windows Mail added to the list? It is possible that my Windows Mail files are not in the "standard" location but I'm not sure where Vista normally places those files.

I also looked in Tool > Add-ons and ImportExportTools is listed there as expected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bill