2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access to Word (Access 2003, SP2)

I have a small Access database which tracks work that I have performed for other departments and then generates invoices for that work. I would like to create a new Word document for each of the individual invoices I generate via a report within Access. I can create a Word document which contains all the outstanding invoices, but would like each invoice being in its own document, which should have a naming convention which includes the invoice number and date of invoice.
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Zinger

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Word (Access 2003, SP2)

How do you generate the Word document? By exporting a report to .RTF format, or using mail merge, or otherwise?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    I use the Tools->Office Links->Publish it With Microsoft Office Word steps, which creates a single multi-page rtf document.
    Regards
    Zinger

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Publish it with Word creates an RTF.

Before we try to answer your question, a couple more questions.

Are you happy with the layout you get when you Publish it Word? I ask because often result is not much good. Any graphics/lines are removed, and the layout uses lots and lots of tabs.

Are you using Word because people need to be able to edit the document? If you are just trying to turn the Invoice into a file that can be email/saved etc pdf is a very good alternative. It captures the exact layout of the original, is difficult to change, and anyone can read them.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans.
    The Access reports are acceptable, however you rightly pointed out that the result in Word is less than acceptable.
    The resultant documents don't need to be edited, just able to email to various departments for them to pay on, eventually.
    I don't have a PDF printer driver currently, so am working within the software that is available to me.
    If I were to convince management to buy some PDF printer software, would the approach be similar?
    The end result is for me to create separate documents for each individual invoice number and email those documents individually.
    Regards
    Zinger

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <post:=275,460>post 275,460</post:> for an example of code you can use to send out individual reports as .RTF. You'd have to modify it to suit your situation, of course.
    If the recipients are willing to install the free Snapshot Viewer for Microsoft Access, you could use snapshot format acFormatSNP instead of RTF format acFormatRTF; snapshots preserve the formatting exactly.

There are several free PDF writers, for example pdf995. Or you can download and install Stephen Lebans' free ReportToPDF. The download comes with a sample database that demonstrates how to use it.
    If you would like to send out .PDF files, you'd have to use different code, since SendObject doesn't provide for that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    Have looked at the links you provided and will roll up my sleeves to modify the code for my requirements.
    Regards
    Zinger