3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Foxconn 45GMX-V Motherboard & 2Gb RAM Limit

I just bought my youngest the guts of a new system, a cheap Foxconn motherboard (45GMX-V, 945G chipset with VGA that I didn't know it had ... I was trying to avoid that, oh well), a Radeon HD3450/256Mb PCI-E video card and an Intel E2200 core 2 duo. I also bought her 2Gb of RAM and this is where I may have gone wrong.

The RAM is 800MHz speed where the board only goes to 667 but I think that's probably OK as the RAM should just step down to 667. I didn't see anything about it on the spec on the site (Misco as it's the only cheap UK online parts supplier that seems to accept PayPal, eBuyer has stopped for some reason) but it appears the board has a maximum memory of 2GB ... that would be fine except that the RAM I bought is a single unit where I thought I'd bought a kit of 2 x 1Gb.

The manual is VERY basic and doesn't tell me what I want to know so the question I have is is this 2Gb limit likely to stop using a SINGLE chip of 2Gb in one of the 2 slots (the implication of 2 slots and a 2Gb limit being that each slot will only take 1Gb) and should I try that as I don't want to damage the chip or board?

Any advice appreciated.

Kyu

Thanks

Re: Foxconn 45GMX-V Motherboard & 2Gb RAM Limit

> the implication of 2 slots and a 2 GB limit being that each slot will only take 1 GB

I don't believe there is any such implication. It simply allows minimal flexibility, such as if you want to have 768 MB of memory.

In the days of the FIDOnet forums, many moons ago, there used to be an abbreviation frequently used: <big>WDYTI</big> - Why Don't You Try It?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Batcher ... do you think the RAM will step down to 667 and if not is there likely to be harm to the motherboard (particularly) or RAM?

Kyu

Thanks

I would think that if you tried inserting the memory and it fitted OK then it would (probably) work. I wouldn't imagine anything would come to any harm if it didn't work - you would probably just get the usual beeps of unhappiness from the BIOS!

PS 2 GB seems a bit overkill for Windows XP unless you're running something very memory-intensive like AutoCAD or Sibelius (music composition program). I'm quite happy with 1 GB, and 768 MB is usually about enough for the usual Office, email and browsing tasks.
    BATcher

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, turns out my concerns were groundless.

The manual supplied is awful and clearly says it's a 2GB limit but searching online I found a later revision of the manual and that says 4Gb. The memory works fine and the machine is building right now ... damned if it doesn't mean my 13 year old daughter will shortly have the most powerful PC in the house!

2Gb may be overkill but memory is cheap (my daughter is also a bit of a gamer)

Kyu

Thanks

I'm glad it works OK!

For memory, I always look at Crucial's UK website, either to look things up on their Memory Advisor by PC and model or to run their 'System Scanner' program on the PC in question. So far every piece of memory I've ordered has been delivered the next day, in spite of choosing the cheapo '3-5 days' delivery option!
    BATcher