5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup programs (Vista 64-bit)

I recently purchased a new laptop with a faster processor than my old laptop and twice as much RAM, yet I find it is running slower. I suspect it is due to programs running in the background. There are several icons in my system tray that I never use, including Openoffice.org, Lightscribe, and Onenote sidebar. My suspicion is that these are running in the background and that they are taking up some of my memory.

My question is twofold: first, how to do I stop these programs from running at startup? I have gotten to the System Configuration Startup tab, but now what do I do? Do I have to manually uncheck all of the programs except for these three programs and then click “Disable all”? Or do I have it backwards?

Second, is there a quick way to find out what all of those programs in my System Configuration Startup tab are? Ideally, I would like to turn off everything but a few essential programs, but last time I tried this operation, I ended up changing my Windows display and turning off some other key features by accident. The truth is, I don’t know what 75% of those programs are, but I suspect I don’t use most of them anyway. Do I have to go researching each one on Google or is there a faster way to figure out what can be safely disabled?

Regards,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Startup programs (Vista 64-bit)

Before we go any further tell us about this hardware.
    What make and model?
    How much RAM?
    What CPU and etc?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1) Startup items: Open Windows Defender > Tools > Software Explorer. This will give you a list of all the applications running at startup and with the option to disable them or delete them. Along with the name of the applications/items, there is a brief description of each and which company produced them.

2) Must mouseover the icons in the Notification Area (aka: System Tray) and you should get a Balloon Tip displaying what the program is. Also, right-clicking an icon should give you a menu that could lead you to further information.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, Windows Defender is so much better, clearer, and easier to use than the System Configuration Startup tab! Thanks Jeff.

Dave, I was inaccurate with my description, I didn't mean to say that it runs much slower in general; rather, it takes forever to start-up. Let me see if blocking some of these programs helps.

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have a very small amount of RAM and/or empty disk space, then these will in fact slow down the start up process. The different services and processes will be fighting for the RAM and/or disk space.

So would mind telling us more about this machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.