Thread: Klob (XP SP2)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Klob (XP SP2)

We seem to have picked up a nasty, KLOB. We have AVG AV, and have tried to send on its way without success. Any available links to remove please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Klob (XP SP2)

KLOB appears to be a variant of Smitfraud. Try the steps in PC Hell: How to Remove SmitFraud variants like WinAntivirus Pro 2007, PestCapture, and more.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ripper Hans thank you. I was tentative because I had read where some supposed solutions were phony and loaded more malware. I thought I had removed it via "Rogue remover" from safe mode, but two days later the screen warning pops up. again. A Nasty piece of work this one.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The SmitFraudFix from the links on the post Hans made will work but you should run RootKit Revealer after as this nasty will open the door for other malware. If you find the "tdss" root kit Malwarebytes Malware remover should take care of it. I worked on a laptop with these issues this last weekend. This type of malware is making me keep a current image available as it can be quicker to refresh the OS-Program File partition than sweating out the "can I fix it" question. Best of luck.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The links so far have not worked, if I leave my unit idle for say 20 minutes AVG reveals the KLOB detection. I have just loaded "UNHACKME" to give that a try,
    I do not nderstand the "OS program file partition", I have just one partition with everything on it. If push comes to shove, I'll have to reload Windows. Sure is a nasty piece of work. I'll keep working through Hans' list, and check out rootkit revealer. Thanks for the nudge.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd also try the program Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mentioned by Sinjin. It's rapidly gaining a reputation for being able to remove nasties where other programs fail. The free version is fully functional, but the paid version has more features.

Thanks

Further to what Hans suggests, there's a good writeup on how to use Malwarebytes Antimalware...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...