Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Access (Vista SP1)

Can I access email via Windows Mail from a remote location where I have wireless connectivity or do I have to access mail via the Web? This is the first time I've had this laptop away from the office and it would be great if I could get mail the usual way.

All help gratefully accepted!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Access (Vista SP1)

What kind of e-mail address do you use?

If you're normally on Exchange server at work, you'd either have to log in using a VPN connection (you can then work as if you're in the office), or use Outlook Web Access if that has been set up by your employer.

If you use an e-mail address provided by your ISP, it depends. Some (or most? I don't know) ISPs only allow you to use a stand-alone e-mail client such as Windows (Live) Mail when using their connection; in that case you'd have to use webmail if you want to read your e-mail elsewhere. You could experiment, or ask your ISP.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Access (Vista SP1)

Hi Hans,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply! I have just discovered that the problem lies with my ISP. I tried their livechat service to get answers to some of your questions and discovered that they were having a problem and that's why I was! Since my first line of help is always Woody's Lounge (because of loungers like you - and that's sincere!!), looks as if I jumped the gun. Being a non-techie type and new to this particular need to access email while away, I assumed the problem was me. Seems it isn't and that all will be well once their issue is corrected. I have learned more about distance connection and email checking, however, and that's a good thing.

Thanks again.

Linda :-)