2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Crashing When Entering Data to Popup Form (Access 2007)

I have an application where users review information about customers and enter their comments about what they have seen. They click a button called Comments, and a form pops up with a large box for them to enter whatever narrative they want to include. The field where they enter their comments is formatted as a memo data type. This is a tab control where they can enter general comments on one tab, and confidential comments on the other.

Users are experiencing random application crashes when entering data into this form. They'll be typing along and all of a sudden they receive the box that says Access has encountered an error and needs to close the database. There is no error message displayed. Some people have the problem happen once in a while; others experience it several times a day.

The rest of the application works fine. The application was converted from Access 2003 and was originally created back in Access 2.0. The basic functionality of this form has not changed other than making the data entry box a tab control in Access 2003.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas where I can look - I have not had the problem myself?

As far as I know, the users are running the application on Windows XP, not Vista, which is what I do myself.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Nancy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Crashing When Entering Data to Popup Form (Access 2007)

Hi Nancy,
    There have been reports of Access crashes at random, and there is a known (at least I've seen it) issue with right-clicking on a subform where there is no control that causes Access to simply go away. You don't indicate whether you have installed SP1 of Office 2007, so that would be the first step in trying to resolve the issue. And a question - does the data entered up to that point get saved, or is it lost?
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Crashing When Entering Data to Popup Form (Access 2007)

Wendell, the data is lost when the crash occurs. If they typed information in the form in a previous session, that is saved. I have put a "save" button on the form so they can save their work as they go along.

I'm not sure about SP1 - I'll have to ask them. These are folks in our affiliates and I have no knowledge of how their machines are configured. I'll ask them tomorrow.

I'll check tomorrow when I'm back in the office, and see if I can get the program to fail with a right click.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Nancy