New Lounger
    Thanks

Date Workbook Created (Excel 2003 SP3)

I want to automatically insert the date a workbook was first created (from a template) in a worksheet. I don't want the date to change when the workbook is subsequently reopened. If I could insert the date "Created" that you see when clicking File - Properties - General (tab), that would work fine. How do I do it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date Workbook Created (Excel 2003 SP3)

You could create the following custom function in a module in the Visual Basic Editor:

Function CreateDate() As Date
    CreateDate = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Creation date").Value
    End Function

Enter the following formula in a worksheet cell:

=CreateDate()

and format the cell as a date (or date+time). If you store the function in your Personal.xls workbook, use

=Personal.xls!CreateDate()

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input, Hans.

The CreateDate() function that you suggested works, but unfortunately, the date inserted is not the "date created" that is shown on the File - Properties menu. When I create a new file from a template, the File - Properties menu shows the date the new file was created, but the CreateDate() function shows the date when the original template was created. Is there any way to access the File - Properties date?

Or is there another way to automatically insert a date when a new file is created (from a template), but prevent it from being changed when the file is reopened on a subsequent date? I can do it with a workbook_open() sub by setting a flag to test if the date has already been set, but for that to work, it is necessary to remember to always reset the flag when I open the original template to modify it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, the creation date/time of the workbook itself isn't exposed in Excel VBA. Try this version instead:

Function CreateDate()
    CreateDate = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetFile (ActiveWorkbook.FullName).DateCreated
    End Function

This will only work with workbooks that have been saved to disk, because this code looks at the saved .xls file.