New Lounger
    Thanks

Static IP - how to access files

What software can you use to access PC files on a computer with a static IP address? I want to be able to access some of our company files from home, have the static IP address but just don't know how it all fits together so I can get my files.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Static IP - how to access files

Presumably there is a firewall that will block you from accessing your computer at the office. To work around this, your company might offer a VPN connection, or might authorize the use of a program such as LogMeIn to make your computer remotely accessible. For security reasons, you should not try to open your office PC to the world.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I should clarify. The company is our own so in effect what I would like to do is gain access from files on one stand-alone computer at our office from our stand-alone computer at home. Both computers have Windows XP file wall only plus AVG anti virus. Can I use FTP software or is this for something completely different?

Programs such as LogMeIn would only work if the work computer was on, wouldn't it. Would this be my only solution?

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are a number of VNC products on the market (virtual network computing), some of which are free and others costing on the order of $60 or more. When last I did so, I used TightVNC which is free. You will have to do some port forwarding to make it work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ftp can be used for this purpose. You would need to install an ftp server on the PC at work, then you would need to make sure that your firewall allowed incoming ftp traffic to get to this PC, finally you would need an ftp client on the PC at home (you can use the ftp command from a DOS window, or use a web browser and specify ftp: instead of http: but there are better ftp clients around).

It is generally not a good idea to use a PC running Windows XP as a server connected to the Internet as it is not the most secure server environment. You should make sure that the benefits of using this PC as an ftp server are greater than the risks before proceeding.

Another solution you may want to consider is uploading these files to a web server and accessing them using a standard web browser.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You could use Live Mesh Tech Preview or Windows Live FolderShare beta to access files by establishing a sharing mechanism. This would also allow you to easily keep them in synch.

Joe
    Joe