2 Star Lounger
    Beverly, USA

Monitor Can't communicate with Computer

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with two monitors. The machine has one video card with a VGA port and a DVI port. Until this morning both functioned. We moved the computer because we needed to move the desk it was sitting under. I've reattached everything and now the monitor attached to the DVI port doesn't work! I made sure that the cable is securely plugged in and screwed in on both ends and I've also replaced the cable but neither of these things make the monitor work. I swapped the VGA cable from the other monitor and the monitor comes up just fine.

The problem is that the DVI port is the port for the primary monitor and so I can't just work with one monitor for now (I can't even log in until I can get a screen connected to that port to work.)

To make things even more frustrating, both monitors worked for about 30 seconds and then the primary quit working.

Any suggestions?

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 899 Posts

Re: Monitor Can't communicate with Computer

It most likely is an issue with the video card itself. So, power down the machine. Open it up, take this opportunity to thoroughly clean the inside, and then make sure the video card is seated properly. If that does not help, use a different video card if possible.