Lounger
    Thanks

Contingent Control disabling (Access 2002)

In a form I am trying to disable or enable a control depending on whether a check box is true or false. I can't find an Form event that will help because the control will be changed within the record. I have tried triggering an update so that the AfterUpdate Event would do it, but neither Save REcord or Refresh seem to do the trick. I can't use any event on the control I want to disable because you can't disable a control which has the focus.
    Any ideas gratefully received.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contingent Control disabling (Access 2002)

You need to use two events for this:

- The After Update event of the check box, so that the control is enabled/disabled when the user clicks the check box:

Private Sub MyCheckBox_AfterUpdate()
    Me.OtherControl.Enabled = Me.MyCheckBox
    End Sub

where MyCheckBox is the name of the check box, and OtherControl is the name of the control to be enabled/disabled.

- The On Current event of the form, so that the control is enabled/disabled when the user moves to another record:

Private Sub Form_Current()
    End Sub

I have assumed that the control should be enabled if the check box is ticked. If it is to be disabled when the check box is ticked, use

Me.OtherControl.Enabled = Not Me.MyCheckBox

in both procedures.

Lounger
    Thanks

It works brilliantly, but I don't understand why! I had got stuck on the thought that an event lined to a control could only influence that control, and I can't see what the code is saying, I suppose I was expecting If/Else language.
    Anyway I am very grateful for the solution.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Me.MyCheckBox returns the value of the check box, i.e. True if the check box is ticked, and False if the check box is clear.

Me.OtherControl.Enabled is also a True/False value: True if the control is enabled, False if the control is disabled.

Since both values are True/False, there is no need to use an If ... Then ... Else ... construction, you can assign one value directly to the other.

says: if the check box is ticked, set Enabled to True, and if the check box is clear, set Enabled to False.