2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

unable to defrag. (unable to defrag.)

I am running vista ult and it won't let me defrag any of the hard drives.
    When I click on defrag nothing happens at all.even if I use an other program such as winoptiermiser by ashampoo I can't defrag.
    I did a system restore going back 7 days.
    Still no joy.Any thoughts ?
    Gus..

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: unable to defrag. (unable to defrag.)

Windows Vista defragmentation tool has no progress bar and no other indication of it. All that you see is the message "Defragmenting hard disk... This may take from a few minutes to a few hours."
    You may presume that "nothing happens at all", but, in fact, the defragmentation process is running.

To use another defragmentation program, for instance, WinOptimizer, you must run it with elevated Administrative rights (right-click the icon and from pop-up menu select "Run as Administrator".) Remember, in Windows Vista your account has no full Administrative rights, despite you are the owner and the only user.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb.
    I understand all you are saying.
    When I click on the defrag tab all that happens is that the mouse cursour blinks 1 or 2 times.When I check task manager no process are running at all.
    I have even enabeled the admin account[the real one]still can't run defrag.

Gus..

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have installed a third party defragger, it may have disabled the windows defragger.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave.
    How do I enable windows defragger?
    I have uninstalled the third party gefragger.

Gus..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you select Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans.
    In a word nothing.
    When I run through the list and get to disc defragmenter and clik on the tab the start window closes and that is it.
    Gus.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Gus, when you get to the defragger in the menu, try right-clicking and see if you can look at Properties to see what it leads to. It's supposed to show: <big>%SystemRoot%system32dfrgui.exe</big>. If it does show that, open Windows Explorer and drill down to (probably) C:WindowsSystem32 and look for that EXE file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al.
    Sorry it has taken so long to reply been busy with work.
    I found the .EXE file but I can't open it with anything except note pad.
    When I click on it flickers and that is all it dose.Its just like a program that won't respond.
    Gus..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, Gus. Well, I went Googling just now to see if I could find anyone else having this or a similar problem. I started out with a basic look for "dfrgui.exe' and got more hits than I imagined I would. It seems there are many who "think" that filename is related to spyware, but THAT makes me nervous too. There are lots of ripoffs on the web where someone is trying to sell a spyware removal thing so I don't know if there's any truth to the fact that this file could be part of something "bad" or not.

I'm gonna keep looking, but meanwhile, have you run any tools that we KNOW are safe (and reliable) like AdAware and Spybot S&D? If not, could you do that and see if either of them complain about any "toolbar" type spyware? Another check: the file, on MY system is (in exact byte count) 671,232 in size (not "size on disk"). Since I'm fairly new to Vista and don't use its defrag, I also don't know why the Accessories menu leads to this file AND there is another file called defrag.exe in the directory. But I'm sure there's a reason for it. I'm also gonna try executing both on my system to see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A reminder that the DATE in those yellow boxes above is the date that I installed Vista, not the MS file date. Since I don't usually run it (I use PerfectDisk by the way) I did run from the menu as you've been trying to do. The initial defragger window opens where there are two choices for either scheduling or running. Vista says it's scanning my drives, which it does in a couple of minutes. It then says I don't need defragging, which is understandable since I just did one yesterday.

I did try to "execute" the defrag.exe file from the RUN command window. I still don't know what purpose the file serves because all that happened was a one-second flash of a small window in the upper left corner of my screen and it was gone. I also then opened Task Manager to see if either EXE file shows in the list of processes for all users and they are not present.

Case not closed, obviously...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al.
    Thanks for all your help.
    I ended up putting my vista disc in and doing a repair.It seems to have fixed the problum.
    I did a fresh install on another old pc I hand in the back room.I then checked the defrag files and found that some how one of the .EXE files for defrag had been deleted.
    My third party defragger might have done this .I don't know.
    Again thank you for your help.
    Gus..