5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows mail (Vista 64-bit)

I recently purchased a new computer that comes with Windows Media Mail. However, that program cannot open up the Outlook 2003 Outlook.pst and Archive.pst. For this, I would need Outlook 2007, which can read the Outlook 2003 PST's and whose PST's can in turn be opened and read by Windows Mail. However, to get Outlook 2007, I would need to purchase Office 2007 Professional, which retails at around $400. That's a bit steep for the operation I am trying to realize. Does anybody know a way around this?

Also, my computer came with a 60-day free trial version of Office 2007 (without Outlook 2007). I intend to use it, but just don't have the time to put my attention to it now (there appear to be significant differences between Word 2007 and 2003, and this will take time to familiarize myself with). Does anyone know if the 60-day clock can be tolled or "paused" to be used at another time? Or does the trial absolutely need to end 60 days after first using the computer?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows mail (Vista 64-bit)

Do you still have the old PC? You will need to use a PC that has Outlook (2003 or 2007) installed to do the following:
    - Export the messages to Outlook Express format.
    - Export the contacts to .csv format.
    You can transfer the resulting files to your Vista PC and import them into Windows Mail.

As far as I know, the 60-day trial starts the first time you use any of the Office 2007 applications.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you qualify Microsoft Office Discount for Students - The Ultimate Steal is a terrific deal.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: I can't transfer my Outlook 2003 Tasks and Notes to Windows mail, can I? I didn't see those functions in Windows Mail for Vista. Also, does the Windows Mail for Vista have the feature that Outlook 2003 had, where an automatic alarm is activated for every new event that is entered?

Joe: wow, you weren't kidding. I thought it would be a limited version of Office, one with only a couple of programs, but this is the full suite, no?
    I have heard that some versions of Office, such as a student version with only 3 or 4 programs, come with multiple licenses, and you can thus share with up to 3 friends. Do you know if this comes with multiple licenses? Or can it only be installed on the computer(s) of the purchaser?

Thanks!

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Do you know if this comes with multiple licenses? <hr>
    Doesn't look that way if you drill down in the "Am I Eligible" link and read the "Full Terms..."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Windows Mail can NOT read any .pst file regardless of the version of Outlook that created the .pst file. So, you must use Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 to export the e-mail to a CSV format. The exported file can then be imported into Windows Mail.

Windows Mail does not have a calendar in it so there is no such thing as events in Windows Mail.

According to Microsoft Office Discount for Students - The Ultimate Steal, if you qualify you may purchase one license in each of the four groups listed. NONE of the products listed are licensed for more than one PC. So, your friends would each have to qualify and purchase their own copies.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>Windows Mail does not have a calendar in it so there is no such thing as events in Windows Mail<hr>

But there is a Windows Calendar that comes with Vista and it is OK.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Others have already answered your questions. Windows Mail is essentially a slightly updated version of Outlook Express, i.e. a mail client and news reader, not a multifunctional application such as Outlook.