3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UAC problems?? (Vista Ultimate SP1)

In another thread in this forum, I recently read, for the umpteenth time, a complaint about "all those pesky permissions" (I think the writer used an adjective other than "pesky"). For a long time I have wondered what the problems are that others are having with User Account Control permissions, as I have found them to be a great convenience. Admittedly, most of the time I use my computer to run software and not to do full-time computer maintenance, but still....

Unlike other posters, I don't see the UAC dialog box popping up every few minutes. Days or even weeks go by without my seeing even one. And when they do, I expect them, because I am performing a task that requires Admin permissions. Under XP, to do the same task, such as installing software or using Windows Update, I had to log out and log back in using the administrator account. In Vista this isn't necessary. All I have to do is type in the admin password and hit enter. Takes just a couple of seconds. And if I'm already in the account with administrator priviledges (to do some computer maintenance) I don't even need the password. I just hit Enter. It's just a single keystroke, fercrissake.

So what am I missing that makes UAC such a burden?

Fafner

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UAC problems?? (Vista Ultimate SP1)

Fafner Hello,
    As a "personal use only" PC user (research etc.) and the only user, i find the "UAC" a total waste of my time (and a pain). Ex: If i am on a "WEBSITE" to download this or that why would i want (EVERY TIME) to have to give myself permission to do what i'm there to do in the first place!? I am glad, that through this forum and found the program
    "WinBubble 1.75" http://www.unlockforus.blogspot.com/ so that i could "disable the pain in the butt program" safely (elevate without prompting) and get on with
    the task at hand. (without having to jump through some "nanny nag screen"hoop ) Regards Plain Fred.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Many Windows users have become accustomed to running as a user with administrative privileges and being able to do anything, any time to their PC. This is inherently not a good security practice particularly in todays connected world with 'drive-by installs' and other nefarious software. Often inexperienced (and sometimes not so inexperienced) users made disasterous changes without even realizing that they were installing software. So, Microsoft devised this method to deter users from making changes to the system which are potentially harmful. The intent was to make a user stop and perhaps realize that the change could be dangerous. This is similar to what Unix & MAC users have dealt with for a long time. Some may quarrel with the implementation but I'm sure that as it was changed with Vista SP-1 it will be further refined in future Windows efforts.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, P. Fred. Thanks for your quick reply.
    My Vista must be set up differently from yours, as I have never had the prompt appear merely to download a file from a web site, which is something I do often. The only times it appears is when I am doing something, such as installing software, that under XP required that I be logged in as administrator.

On a related note, a colleague of mine, quite computer-savvy, disabled UAC shortly after he bought a laptop running Vista. The very same day, a piece of malware installed itself on his computer via the internet without his knowledge. I don't know whether this would have happened if he hadn't disabled UAC, but perhaps not. Anyway, it seems like pretty cheap insurance.

As I said before, I find having to type an admin password on occasion much less a pain in the butt than having to log off and log back on with an admin account to do the same job.

Fafner

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, this is what I thought, too. I don't run everyday tasks while logged into an account with administrator priviledges, but if I did, The UAC prompt would require nothing more than a single keystroke to acknowledge. I don't find this onerous at all. To date, I haven't had the experience of getting an unexpected prompt due to an attempted malware installation, but if and when I do, I will be happy for the bit of insurance that UAC provides.

Fafner

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner Hello,
    I guess i'll have too agree that i disagree with both you and joe on this. Having to "give your self permission" to "download" (and buy that i mean run also) a program on your own PC is "Pointless" (in my opinion). As i stated before using "WinBubble 1.75" "security tab " Enable UAC "/ elevate without prompting is a much better choice.
    "Happy Nag Screening" Regards Plain Fred.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Yep, Disabled UAC very shortly after installing my Vista partition. Annoying, to me anyway. Too many "are you sure" pop ups and OK clicks, etc.

Same as I enabled single click instead of double clicking every choice.

BUT....to each his own!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!