New Lounger
    Thanks

View Shared Address book in GAL (Outlook 2007 (12.6212.1000) SP1 MSO (12.0

My work recently moved to the Outlook 2007 email solution from a Lotus Notes Environment. I am going through some support scenarios regarding shared address books and came across a situation I am unable to find a solution for. I am hoping that you would be able to guide me in the right direction.

Scenario: Someone has granted me access to their Address book contact list. I have opened up the shared folder on my outlook. When I am composing a new email and click on the To: button to get my contact list. I do not see an option to select the shared address book I have added.

In past builds of outlook I recall there to be a flag you can toggle called "use this folder as Outlook Address book" which normally could be found by right clicking on the shared contact list and going into properties, then clicking on the “Outlook Address Book” tab. However when I go to the properties on the Shared address book this tab is missing and I cannot toggle the flag. Please let me know how to set up the contact lists properly in the 2007 environment.

Thank you in Advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: View Shared Address book in GAL (Outlook 2007 (12.6212.1000) SP1 MSO (

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

As far as I know, that is not possible. Only your own contacts, the Exchange global address list and public contacts folders can be used as address books.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

So it seems the only way to get what I want is to trick outlook into adding the other users contacts into my outlook address book so that it will be viewable in the GAL. I'll see if I can work with my administrators to test this out. It may not be a viable solution for my work environment due to security risks. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I work in an Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 environment, so it is possible that things have changed, but I don't think it likley. I want to point out that you are misusing the term Global Address List. The GAL as I know it is a listing of email addresses and related data kept in Exchange Server. WIthin the GAL it is possible (and common) to also have distribution lists.

You have been kind of generically using the term GAL to describe all address books that are available to you on your Outlook client, and technically that's not accurate; Contacts, including Shared Contacts and Public Folder Contacts, are all separate address books, not the same as the GAL. Frequently Contacts are composed of entries found in the GAL, but that is up to the user to import to his or her address book. <!post=This,734,443>This<!/post> recent thread may help demonstrate how Outlook and Exchange treat each directory as an Address Book, of which the GAL is (an important) one of many. A more clear understanding of the GAL may help when you discuss your issues with your technical support personnel.

(In a Lotus Notes environment, address books are all "Directories", and usually corporations have a master Directory, which is the equivalent of the GAL, and users have their local Directories, which are similar to Contacts Folders. In Notes, as in Outlook, Contacts can be added to a local user Directory from the master Directory, but also from other sources, such as outside Contacts not in the corporate Directory.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS