Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

flashing light mouse

Mild curiosity, having just taken apart my mouse and blown it clean.

What's with the flashingness of the red light?
    When I hold my mouse upside down and stare lovingly at its belly, it waits for about 2 seconds then starts flashing about 5-10 times a second, as if it is gasping for air.

It's working fine; I'm just wondering what make sit decide to go flashy-flashy.

Thanks

Re: flashing light mouse

If it's a wireless mouse, it's probably gone into semi-sleep mode to save power, although wired ones can do as well. Normally it would be glowing continuously as the optics scan your work surface, but as soon as you lift it up, it pulses to reduce power until a valid image is computed. More info is just an optical mouse click away.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: flashing light mouse

Leif, thanks for your response and the embedded link.

>If it's a wireless mouse,
    No, it uses "the eponymous PS/2 interface "
    "the mouse dims or blinks the laser or LED when in standby-mode" has given me a few minutes of fun.
    I lay the mouse on its back and watched it blink for about twenty seconds. Then boredom set in.
    Moving my hand very close to the Red LED inhibited the blinking, so it looks like a power-saver.

I learned something else: I didn't now that I didn't need a mouse pad (shades of <post:=734,265>post 734,265</post:>!)

I have experimented with a paper-clip attached to the underside of an older mouse to track x-y coordinates when I click on a floor-plan, to record the dimensions of a room, so I was fascinated to read some of the Common Mouse Operations and ingenuity of encoding schemes.

Thanks again!