4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limited IP connections (IE7)

A novice user with a new Sony laptop running Vista home and having a wireless connection to a router connected to cable internet access is having a problem. Being a friend, I agreed to stop by to verify that the problem exists, but had little time for much else. Her ISP has so far been unable to help. I find the symptoms curious.

Previously
    At Home : Everything worked fine (alledgely, I have no way to verify)

Currently
    At Home : Limited number of web sites will connect including her ISP's so she is unable to get her e-mail, which she does using Windows Mail.

Away from Home : At another location having wireless access everything works fine.

Using Internet Explorer at home, her IE home page (Yahoo) will not connect, her ISP's web page (Comcast) will not connect and most others will not as well. It sits there trying to connect and times out. One web site connects immediately, Google. I did two searches at Google and got results as usual, but clicking on some of the resulting links links I found only about 1 out of ten would connect.

I am looking for suggestions as to what setting or conditions may have changed to account for all of the above behavior. I do not use IE7 or Vista on my Systems.
    Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Limited IP connections (IE7)

Have you checked the physical connection between the router & cable modem? Are you able to try a different router? Has the ISP test the line? Insist that they do.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Physical connection checked Affirmative
    Different router Not on this cable connection. Computer does work on another router-cable pair connection to same ISP
    Line test Not yet, higher level ISP techie is suppose to call back (i'm not holding my breath)

The symptoms do not read like an unreliable electrical connection. They rather read like a filtered IP connection. Any connection that is made is robust and quick.

Paul

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you checked the router configuration?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would check things using a CAT5 cable and see if things improve.
    Also make sure that the connection is to her router and not the neighbors, as around here that is the most common problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As Dave A says <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">Also make sure that the connection is to her router and not the neighbors,</span hi> I spent hours on a similar problem only to find that the "Belkin" router (by coincidence the same make as the one I was configuring) showing in network connections was indeed an unsecured network from next door,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, Dave, Jeff
    I'll probably not get back to look at the subject computer till Friday. I will take a look at the router configuration. The computer is talking to her wireless router, one of the first things I checked. It is the only wireless source listed, has the correct name and is encrypted.

Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To bring this issue to a close: I checked out the computer, Internet Explorer and other relevant software and router settings and found nothing amiss so I suggested the owner contact their ISP, Comcast. Following several tech support phone calls and after visits to the owner's home by three different technicians over a three week period Comcast found and fixed the problem. It was some kind of sub-mask network problem on Comcast's side of the cable. All is now well, but it took the ISP way too long.

Paul

Administrator
    Thanks

Glad it was resolved. It sure can be frustrating getting an ISP to respond. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe