Star Lounger
    Thanks

CPU running very high (Windows XP, SP3)

Alright, since about a week ago my computer has been running abnormally slow and after observing task manager it seems as if the CPU is running at around 85-95% consistently, not dropping below 75%. This is a dual core processor with 3gb of DDR2 RAM, it normally runs at 12% or less. In terms of startup programs, I have nothing running that is non-essential, so I can rule out a program as being the perpetrator. I have run AVG virus and AVG anti-spyware and have had no red flags at all, it seems completely clean (according to them). My fan is running on high constantly as well, im assuming because of the amount of CPU usage.

The programs that are using the most CPU are:
    guard.exe which is at 18-25% and part of AVG anti-spyware (it won't let me terminate guard.exe regardless)
    CSRSS.exe at 9-14%, which seems to be part of my graphics card
    spoolsv.exe at 10-13%
    nvsvc32.exe at 12-25% which is part of my graphics card.

The problems seemed to begin when I would watch online videos in full screen, they would begin to get choppy and laggy, but when i got out of the videos it was fine, now it is 100% of the time.

If anyone has any way to diagnose this issue I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

-Ben

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: CPU running very high (Windows XP, SP3)

You should be able to configure AVG to turn off the anti-spyware component. The true csrss.exe is OK but there is a chance that it could be a trojan. You need to determine the location from which it is being executed. You can use Process Explorer to examine running processes.

These percentages do seem very high. Are they from a relatively inactive system? Do you have the most current video driver?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ran the program, nothing seems out of the ordinary except for the exorbitant CPU usage.

I ran a HijackThis log, and came up with this (attachment), maybe someone can help me analyze it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I don't think anyone here will claim to be an expert at HijackThis logs. Search the lounge for links where you can submit the log file for better analysis. If you want to try to track this down yourself, I'd recommend you start disabling programs that run at startup one at a time. Then run for a while and see if the CPU usage has changed. If it does you've found the culprit. Otherwise, you can re-enable the last disabled item and try another.

BTW, do you have the latest drivers for your video card & your NIC? Is XP up-to-date with patches?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar problem a while back and it was a setting on AVG - don't remember what.

I'm not sure how I changed it - I may have had to reinstall AVG

Tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So after my tech-savvy friend investigated this problem he isolated the issue down to a startup program NVCPL32.exe which as we soon found out is a worm. It seems as if it was overloading the virus software and preventing it from finding it. Unfortunately he was unable to delete it from safe mode as it just reinstalls every startup. Does anyone know how to permanently remove a worm?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See WORM_AGOBOT.DAA. Stop the Nvcpl.exe process in the processes tab of Task Manager, then avtivate Regedit and delete the registry entries mentioned in the article. Also remove the Hosts file entries mentioned at the end of the article from C:WindowsSystem32DriversEtcHost (this is a text file without an extension in the name).