New Lounger
    Thanks

home server (1.0)

well i have my server up and running now I have a real stupid question.
    set up 4 users so far how do i set up administrative account????
    i feel so stupid.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What type of administration do you want? Are you not logged in as an administrative account to add the 4 users? Or are you tying to make one of the existing or a new user an administrator also?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lippy10 View Post
    set up 4 users so far how do i set up administrative account?
    When you instal Windows Home Server on your server PC you will create an account as part of the instal process, this will be an Administrator Account. It is probably best to only use this account via the Server PC itself and not log on to it from Client PCs. When you do logon vis the server you will get a warning that you should not do this and you should do everything via the Home Server Console on client PCs. As far as setting up shared folders this is so, but sorting out Windows updates can't be done via the console for instance. Another word of warning don't meddle with the default directory structure, WHS relies on certain folders being there and stops working if you move/delete them.

On each client PC you need to instal the client connection software. You then need your user accounts on the server for each client that will share the server. Once set up and going it is a nice system and ideal for the home user who wants to share media files across several PCs and laptops. Back-up is really nice, the first one is rather long (a full back-up), but after that it is incremental with easy restore if you need it. If you leave your server on all the time you don't need a keyboard or monitor attached in theory but in practice you need a monitor (though it can be switched off most of the time). Most important messages can be dealt with via Home Server Console (which can only be active on one PC at a time) but some error messages need to be sorted on the server itself.

Hope this helps.