Star Lounger
    Thanks

Go To Referenced Cell (Excel 2003 SP2)

Quite often, I'd like to Go To a referenced cell (the cell to which another cell refers). The idea is, I want to double-check the reference to make sure it points to the right place, and hasn't gotten off somehow, thus returning an inaccurate value. Seems to me I ought to be able to do this with a right-click or something simple.

Anybody got a shortcut, macro, add-on or what not that will do this easily?

thanks

Don Brownlee

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Go To Referenced Cell (Excel 2003 SP2)

Select Tools | Auditing | Trace Precedents if you want to see which cells contribute to the value of the active cell(s), or Trace Dependents to see which cells depend on the value of the active cell(s).

You can also display the Auditing toolbar; it has buttons for Trace Precedents and Trace Dependents.

Thanks

If you select a cell and press <F2> the formula will show each reference a different color and the referenced cells/range will be outlined in the color, so if teh formula is on the same sheet of the references you can directly see them

You can also go to the tools - formula auditing - trace precedents and it will display a line to each reference. if the line is dbl-clicked you will go to that cell. references to other sheets are displayed as dashed lines with a sheet icon and can also be dbl-clicked

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are two shortcut keys for this, control+[ takes you to the precedents and control+] takes you to the dependents of a cell.

Some quirks:
    The dependents shortcut ignores off-sheet references.
    If the first reference is off-sheet, the precedents shortcut takes you there, ignoring all other precedents.
    If it is to the same sheet, it will select all precedents on that sheet, ignoring off-sheet references.

I sell a tool that handles all of this and makes navigating the dependency tree much, much simpler.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association