Lounger
    Thanks

Merging Docs (MS Word 2003)

I have about 40 word docs that I would like to compile in book form with page numbers
    I need each new doc to start on its own page
    The only way I can figure out to do this is to cut and paste all of the info into on doc and I know that there has to be a better way
    Can some one tell me how to compile these docs and also the best way to have each page end at the end of each doc

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Merging Docs (MS Word 2003)

Hi katiebee,

You can use INCLUDETEXT fields to link your 'main' document to each of its source documents. Check out the INCLUDETEXT field in Word's Help file.

If all the source documents are in the same folder, this becomes a simple matter of creating one INCLUDETEXT field then copying it as many times as needed and changing just the document names to reference each of the other source documents. this is best done by toggling the field code display to on (eg via Alt-F9).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

In addition to what Macropod has said, you said you needed each doc to start on a fresh page, so you'd want to separate the INCLUDETEXT fields with page breaks (Ctrl+Enter) or next page section breaks (Insert - Break - Next Page).

An alternative approach to cutting and pasting is, again with suitably placed breaks, to use the Insert File feature. (On the Insert menu, you go to File... and then choose the file you want to go next). This would give you one large document with all your stuff in it. It may be just as quick as inserting all those INCLUDETEXT fields. Your choice.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Thank you so much the last suggestions seemed easier to me as I was more familiar with the terminology and did not know where to locate INCLUDETEXT in the pulldown menus
    This was remarkably easy -just copied all my files into one folder - opened the lead doc and inserted all of the others
    I did however opt to just insert page numbers versus VIEW insert I wanted larger and bolder page numbers but could not figure that out
    Thank you again

Thanks

You're welcome. Do you still need help with the page numbers?

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes Ian
    I would love some help - I do know how to insert but couldnot figure out how to make them larger/bolder
    I have used the insertpage number and the veiw/header&footer in the past but not real familiar with them
    I checked the tutorial for the insert page and it said that I could chg the font in the format area but when I clicked on the format button the new pop up didnot show anywhere to change the format or another button to go deeper into the function.
    All tips or help will be greatly appreciated -

Footnote
    The reason I want to do this is that I have a holiday rental on Cape Cod and I place a comprehenisive 70 plus page Welcome Book inside each cottage with loads of info, maps, suggestions and ideas. Some people take out pages (probably for day trips) but never put them back. So maybe if they are numbered - it might deter the missing pages. If not I will notice missing pages and others will too!

Thanks

Presumably when you have inserted the page numbers, Word has put them in the footer. (If it is anywhere else just adapt the instructions below to suit.)

Double click in the footer area to be able to work there. Click just by the page number. Look at the top left of the window and check whether the style shown there says Page Number. I'd expect it to. See (1) in screen shot below.

Click on the AA symbol next to that which will open the Style pane on the right of the window. You should see Page Number at the top where it says Formatting of selected text, as at (2) below.

Position your mouse pointer over where it says that and you should see an arrow at the right for a drop down list. Click on the arrow, select Modify (see (3) below).

You can then use the formatting drop downs to set the font and size for the page numbers as you want them (see (4) below).

Hope that helps.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images