3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read Receipts (2K3)

The scenario is the following: You sent an email with the following options selected; "importance:high", and delivery/read receipt request.

If the person who receives the email responds to it, will the response generate a delivery/read receipt request for the responder?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Read Receipts (2K3)

It depends on the recipient's settings. Many people do not respond to delivery/read receipt requests.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

joeperez ... thanks for your prompt response. I agree with you but, bear with me for a while.

Assume my scenario and assume also that the person I emailed to hasn't change any settings in Outlook nor is aware that a delivery/read receipt was requested. With this in mind, when that other person responds, will his message also generate a receipt or receipts for him/her?

Thanks!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, as far as I know the person who replies will *not* get a delivery or read receipt for the reply (unless he/she explicitly requests it).

Administrator
    Thanks

Is the recipient using Exchange server? I do not remember what the default setting for read receipts is in Outlook 2003. If it is 'ask me' then it would be up to the user. If the user settings are to send a receipt and that is not overridden at an Exchange server Outook will a receipt should be sent.

Am I misunderstanding what you are asking? If the recipient's Outlook is set to send a receipt he/she will not know it has been sent.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and joeperez, thanks a bunch!

I should have explained myself better. This is the issue. User "sender" emails user "receiver". "Sender" assigns a high priority to his message and request, and eventually receives, delivery and read receipts. Unbeknown to "sender", "receiver" responds to "sender" but the latter never receives the response or, that is what is alleged. A legal issue has been raised and its resolution depends on whether or not "receiver" can prove that the response was delivered to "sender" and that the latter displayed the response in his monitor/PC. Both "sender" and "receiver" work for the same employer, who uses Exchange Server for emails. The question would be: is there a way to prove or disprove the allegation? Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks, again!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Receiver" should have a copy of the reply in the "Sent Items" folder. If "receiver" has cleared the "Sent Items" folder since sending the reply, the copy might still be in the "Deleted Items" folder. If it's not there either, it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to prove that a reply was actually sent.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV ... "receiver" has produced a copy of an email but, although the technicians managing Exchange Server has produced a log that shows the email was sent, they cannot certify that the email was actually delivered to, and displayed by, "sender". Am I making sense? Thanks!!!

Administrator
    Thanks

If the original 'receiver' is just sending a normal reply he can request both a delivery and/or read receipt on the reply message. It is a normal e-mail that just happens to be pre-filled with the original message.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if the original sender requested a delivery and/or read receipt, this does not apply automatically to a reply sent by the recipient. The recipient would have to had to select File | Properties in the reply and tick the appropriate check boxes to request a delivery and/or read receipt for the reply. Assuming that the recipient hasn't done so, I don't think there is a way to prove or disprove that the original sender has actually received the reply. It seems very probable - within an Exchange environment it's unlikely that a message is sent (as shown by the log) but not received - but there's no conclusive evidence.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To joeperez and HansV, thanks a bunch. Guess it will be a matter for others to adjudicate. Thanks!!!

Administrator
    Thanks

In Exchange that might depend on the logging level that was being used at the time. I haven't looked at logging in Exchange 2007 yet as we haven't needed it. But I'm pretty sure you can track just about anything. In fact, if they are using .OST files instead of .PST files the Exchange mailbox files from that time period probably are in an Exchange backup.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

See my <post:=734,968>post 734,968</post:> to Hans.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, joeperez. Guess that the evidence could be developed if they knew what they were doing. Will let you know how this pans out. Thanks and the best to you all!