Star Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts From Sent Messages (Outlook 2003)

Good afternoon.

Is there a way to create a Contact from a Sent message? I know it can be done from a received message, but when attempting the procedure with a Sent message, it uses the sender as the contact, not the recipient.

I have a list of about 100 Sent messages, all with the same Subject text. I can consolidate the necessary messages, but am not able to have Outlook extract the recipient information into the Contacts profile.

Thanks.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts From Sent Messages (Outlook 2003)

When I open a message in my Sent Items folder and right-click one of the recipients in the message header, there is an option "Add to contacts" in the popup menu. Clicking this opens the recipient (not the sender) in a new Contacts window.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If there's a large number of nmessages from which you wish to add Contacts, FWIW the code in <post#=618,285>post 618,285</post#> will extract email addresses and create new Contacts from them. It will skip existing Contacts containing the email address.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, Hans. you are ubiquitous. Thanks.

I see what you are referring to. My hope was to be able to do this en masse, without opening each message. The messages could be sorted and grouped by subject text. The appropriate messages could be highlighted, right-clicked upon, and moved to the Contacts folder. One problem is, as mentioned, the sender is the one set up as the contact. I was wondering if there is a way to instruct the program to extract the recipient information instead of the sender information when moving messages to the Contacts folder. It also seems, based on applying that procedure to received messages, that if more than one message is sent to the Contacts folder at the same time, Outlook cannot create individual Contacts profiles for each message, and instead creates one profile with the messages themselves attached in the Notes section.

I was hoping there was a way to beat the system, via a an option I had missed or perhaps writing a rule,

RThank you very much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John -

As with most things, that is over my head. I am not at all conversant with VBA. But it does look like something that might do the trick, if it could pull recipient address information.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It will. To use it follow these steps:

Optionally install ClickYes to bypass annoying security prompts
    From the Outlook Menu select Tools | Macro | Security | Medium
    Activate the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) in Outlook by pressing Alt-F11
    In the VBE show the Immediates Window by pressing Ctrl-G
    Select Insert | Module (do not use the "ThisOutlookSession" module)
    Paste the code into the module, leave the module open with a cursor within the code
    From the Outlook Sent Message Folder list view, select the messages whose address you want to import into Contacts
    Back in the VBA module press F5
    Check for messages in the Immediates Window

It takes a while to run because has to look for duplicates on each address. New addresses will be added to your default Contacts Folder. Post back with the text of the yellow highlighted line and error message if the code errors out.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John -

Fairly amazing. It worked perfectly, first try. Most impressive. Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

Kevin