Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Two in one (SR-1)

I have many registered programs installed on a computer to which I no longer have access, nor do I have the installation CDs for the programs. I do have an image of the computer (ShadowProtect) and I have a new computer in the same series (HP Pavilion) with many of the same programs installed. Many of the programs on the image will be either expensive or time-consuming to replace, and programs require a registry, unlike data, which can be restored with no problem. The drive on the new computer is 640GB (part of which is the manufacturer’s restore partition), and I can easily partition the drive. The present setup occupies about 130GB.

I would like to make two computers where there is now only one. They need not be able to talk to one another, and I might like to use one online and the other offline. Much of what is on the image is identical to what is installed on the present computer, except that it has Vista Ultimate and some expensive software. Above all, it is already set up for me. My head is swimming with terms like dual boot and virtual drives, of which I have limited knowledge.

Can I restore the image of an entire computer to a partition or a virtual drive on another computer? If I succeed, how do I boot it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two in one (SR-1)

You didn't say WHY you no longer have access and one reason I mention it is that IF someone else now has that computer and you put an image of it on YOUR new computer, there could be a problem. Not only might it be a copyright problem, but the new "owner" might be trying to keep some of your software up to date and there would be two of you with the program trying to contact the software vendor.

Now, assuming the above is not the case, let me quickly say that I've not done what you want to do, but were I in your shoes, I might try something like this. Get a copy of VistaBootPRO and install it on your current computer. I got a little confused in whether both the current computer AND the old one are running Vista, or what... Anyway, if the following works, you "should" be able to get Vista Boot Pro to help you setup the dual boot. I didn't have any trouble when I installed Vista on a second drive and used VBP to define my boot choices.

In your case, you're going to be making another partition on the one drive, but as long as it's got a drive letter, I would think that ShadowProtect will let you do a restoration of that image you describe. Maybe another Lounger will chime in with tips about a "bare metal" restoration to see what other complications you will be facing in light of the hardware, drivers and such all being different.

This should be a fun challenge and I "hope" not dangerous as long as you can ultimately blow away any new partition and get out from under, if it doesn't work. Obviously, it would be a darn good idea to have a good image of this new computer BEFORE you start. Whatcha think?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Al said, let me explain one more thing.

If you somehow restore Vista image on another computer (doesn't matter as dual boot or virtual PC), Vista immediately "discovers" that you use another hardware: different CPU, different motherboard, etc (it checks serial numbers, not make-models), and it will prompt you to activate your installation again. Depending of the type of your license, you may or may not use your license key twice. Don't be surprise, if Vista will reject your key for activation and close the installation after several days.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The original computer is in mothballs in another city, and I anticipate no licence problems with MS programs. One of the first licensing chores with the new computer was to go through ShadowProtect, who were able to deactivate the licence on the inaccessible computer so that I could install their software, for which I do have the CD, on this. The programs I want but don't have include things like Dragon and OmniPage, as well as WordPerfect Suite and lesser matters. The chief benefit is that they are already set up, and if anyone complains about the too many installations I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Both computers are running Vista, with Home Premium on the present and Ultimate on the shadow. A new partition will have to have a reserved drive letter.

VistaBootPro is the kind of link I was hoping for, and I will take a close look at it. Thank you very much.