3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office SBE OEM Licensing Question (MS Office SBE 2003)

Hi,

I have a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Edition which was bought from DELL as an additional purchase with a DELL pc (has DELL on it so presumably is OEM) ... it was used by my brother as part of his business. It is not an upgrade version (these canít be legally sold since they are artificially cheap), it is not installed anywhere else but it (presumably) has been installed once already (an installation that was erased when I rebuilt & sold the DELL it was on). IOW, in the sense that it is not installed anywhere else and is not an upgrade it a legal and independent purchase.

The question is, am I legally allowed to resell the CDís if I do not re-install it anywhere?

Kyu

Thanks

Re: MS Office SBE OEM Licensing Question (MS Office SBE 2003)

My understanding is that strictly an OEM version should only be installed on the PC it was sold with. You could legitimately have sold it on with the PC.

Ian

Thanks

Re: MS Office SBE OEM Licensing Question (MS Office SBE 2003)

Yes, as IanWilson points out, it could have been sold with the Dell. You can sell it, but the buyer will not be able to activate it. It has been activated once, and unless it is being reinstalled on the hardware from which it was originally activated, activation will fail.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to update you guys on this, whilst I accept there may be licensing issues etc. the software did activate AOK.

I think it's worth knowing that it can be done

Kyu