Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spell Check (Access 2007)

I have noticed a strange behavior in the spell checker of Access. I have seen this strange behavior in Access 97 and 2007. When you spell check a memo field, the spell checker doesn’t recognize the end of the record, and it goes through to the memo field of the next record.

I have created a database to demonstrate what I mean. The database has one table and one form. The table has three fields: EmployeeID, AutoNumber; First Name, Text; and Notes, Memo. I have added misspellings to the Notes fields of the second (Betty) and third (Carole) records. When I spell check the Notes field of the first record (Alice), the spell check goes past the end of Alice’s record and stops at the misspelling in Betty’s note field.

I wanted to attach the database, but, although I made it as simple as I could, it is 365K – too large to be uploaded to the forum. I would be happy to email the database to anyone who is interested.

I can’t believe this the way it’s supposed to work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell Check (Access 2007)

To get the DB small enough, see post 401925
    HTH
    Silverback
    Silverback

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! I zipped a 350K file and it came down to 15K. I've attached the zipped file. The database is called Test
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most of us don't have Access 2007 yet, so we can't open .accdb databases. Please convert to Access 2000 format, then zip and attach.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here is an mdb version.

I don't use Spell Check much in Access, but it seems to me that what it does is what it is supposed to do... ie. check all records in the current recordset.
    There does not seem to be an option to check just the current record.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Normally, spell checking works across records (not just in a memo field).

<post:=654,031>post 654,031</post:> shows how you can spell check a single field in a single record using VBA code.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments. You say that's how spell check is supposed to work, but I find that very surprising. In actual operation, I revisit a record, make some new comments in a memo field, and then (my spelling being what it is), invoke the spell checker. Clearly what I want to do is check the record I just modified, but instead the spell check takes off, and finally stops when it encounters a word it doesn't recognize 7 records further on. And it is not checking all the records in the current record set, just those records beyond the current record.

I would classify this as a bug, not a feature.
    Thanks again for you interest and help.
    Michael Trombetta

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reference to the VBA code to force the spell check of just the current field. I'll try that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The spell check goes to the end of the current recordset, then continues back from the first until it reaches the starting point.

I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature. On the limited occasions I have used Spell Check this is what I have wanted it to do.

You could use the code Hans supplied, or open the form to just the record you want to edit. (use a Where clause) then the current record would be the only one in the recordset.
    Regards
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I added the code that Hans supplied and it works perfectly. Thanks.
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you said "open the form to just the record you want to edit." When I used the form I attached to navigate to a desired record, isn't that opening the form to the record I want to edit? But it is under just those conditions that the spell checker runs past the end of the current record (if Han's code isn't used.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John meant that you should apply a filter so that only one record is displayed in the form. That way, spell check will be limited to one record because there are no other records to go to.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I see what you mean. I may be displaying a single record in the form, but all the other records are sitting there behind that one,

As I said, Han's code works perfectly, so thank you very much.