2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Daylight saving (XP)

Good morning all. I'm not asking for a solution this time, but more a "why". I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop. Last Sunday daylight saving started. I'm in New Zealand. Most to my surprise I've noticed that the laptop has the updated time, however, the desktop doesn't. Daylight saving started earlier this year. But why would one computer update and not the other.

Cheers

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Daylight saving (XP)

Do you have the correct time zone selected and also do you have the box checked to do the automatic time change?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, settings are correct. I did check it.

Oh well just one of those weird things that happens I suppose.

The official date is next weekend, so the desktop will change then.

Cheers

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know for sure, but the answer seems to be in you question: "Daylight saving started earlier this year". Since some countries do change their start and end time for daylight saving; i.e. it's not always the last Sunday this or that month, one needs to update the OS with an update from MSFT. As I understand it, it can sometimes be a bit complicated when they change them, at least from my part of the world.

MSFT has released a cumulative time zone update 951072 in August 2008, this replaces the old 942763.
    See this article at MSFT: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951072

And compare your updates on both machines, and use the method you like: Microsoft Update (MU); Windows Update (WU) or Automatic Update (AU) to check for a time zone update.

You don't mention your OS, since "XP" can be an Office suite. This is however an OS question not related to MS Office.

Some detailed info can also be found here: Australia Eastern & Central 2008 Daylight Saving Changes (MSFT)