Cambridge, UK

Finding out if a macro was called by a key (ALL)

Is there any way that when a macro is run, I can find out how it was called.
    In particular I want to know if it was called by a Key Press such as SHIFT CTRL P,
    or whether it was by a button.
    I have had a look at Application.Caller, but this returns Error for both Tools-Macro-Macros Run method and Shortcut key press. I assume because it make no distinction between them.

If it a button it returns String, etc.
    I am guessing the answer is NO unless either there is a hidden property I cannot find out about, or an API routine that I do not know about.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Finding out if a macro was called by a key (ALL)

If a macro is called by clicking a toolbar button, that toolbar button is returned by CommandBars.ActionControl; otherwise CommandBars.ActionControl is Nothing.
    I don't think Excel distinguishes between starting a macro by selecting Tools | Macro | Macros and by pressing a keyboard shortcut.

You could create a macro A that sets some kind of flag, then calls another macro B.
    Assign the keyboard shortcut to A instead of to B.
    This way, the flag would signal whether B was called directly or (via A) by the keyboard shortcut.

Platinum Lounger
    Weert, Limburg, Netherlands

Re: Finding out if a macro was called by a key (ALL)

You could detect whether the shift key is depressed or not. See a simple routine at this page: Look for the routien called "ShiftPressed" (note that it needs the API declaration immediately above it in the same example)
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    Professional Office Developers Association