Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Open linked images (2007)

I've created some documents that contain hyperlinks to photos. When I try to open the linked photo, Internet Explorer first launches a new blank tab, then launches a second instance of itself to display the photo. The default viewer for JPEGs in my system is Office Picture Viewer, and that's what displays photos when I double-click on them from Windows Explorer. How do I train Word 2007 to use the default viewer to display linked photos?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open linked images (2007)

Try the following:
    - Quit Excel.
    - Start Regedit.
    - Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0Common Internet.
    - Create a new DWORD value, name it ForceShellExecute and give it the value 1.
    - Start Excel and click a hyperlink to a picture to check whether it opens in Office Picture Viewer.

Alternatively, download the attached zip file, extract the reg file from it and open the reg file.

(Note: 9.0 is the internal version number of Office 2000, but this registry entry affects later versions of Office too. Do *not* change 9.0.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I followed the path through Regedit. I did not see "Office9.0," but I did find 12.0CommonInternet and proceeded from there. Then I restarted Word, clicked a link to a photo, and saw the same behavior I described earlier. Internet Explorer 7 launched and displayed the photo.

Whereas I did not see anything like 9.0 in Regedit, I did not attempt to launch the attachment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should either try the reg file in the attachment, or do the following in RegEdit to create the entire path:

- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftOffice.
    - With Office selected, create a new key and name it 9.0
    - With 9.0 selected, create a new key and name it Common
    - With Common selected, create a new key and name it Internet
    - With Internet selected, create a new DWORD value and name it ForceShellExecute
    - Double-click the ForceShellExecute value in the right hand pane and set its value to 1

Thanks

Windows XP, I presume. What is your file type setting for URL:HTTP? From Windows Explorer:

Tools > Folder Options > File Types > select URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol > Advanced > select Open > Edit.

These are the two most interesting settings (obviously yours and mine won't t match):

Application: "C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "%1"
    DDE Message: "%1",,0,0,,,,

(Note: to post %1 in the Lounge you need to put [square brackets] around the % sign.)