Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

New accounts can send but not receive (Outlook 2003)

Have set up 3 business accounts and all 3 report complete success to 'Test Account Settings'. I send test messages to my home account and all 3 are received. I reply to all three and in each case I get an undeliverable message: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <...................>... User unknown'. At the business end when Send/Receive is clicked an error message results:
    Task 'pop3.fredo.co.uk (2) - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I've Googled both errors, which don't seem uncommon, but couldn't find a sure-fire fix. So far I've used RegCure to clean up the business registry (over 1000 errors) but can't re-boot as I'm having to access the business PC by Remote Desktop.

Thanks

Re: New accounts can send but not receive (Outlook 2003)

Do you operate your own mail server or did you set up the accounts through your service provider's web site? If you operate your own mail server, it's probably relevant which one it is (e.g., Microsoft Exchange or a simpler POP mail server). If you set the accounts up through your ISP or web host, then perhaps there is a problem with those settings. However, so far, I don't see a problem with Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

We operate our own POP mail server.

Thanks

I think it makes sense to test the configuration of the POP server. A common way to do this when mail clients do not work is to connect using the telnet program.

Using the standard SMTP port, port 25, allows you to test for the existence of that username. This article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base should be pretty close; the SMTP commands do not vary between Exchange and a POP3 mail store. Can you send to or as that user via telnet?

If you cannot connect on port 25, you could try connecting on port 110. A brief Google turned up this article: http://arnab.org/notes/accessing-mai...pop-and-telnet. Are you able to retrieve mail for your new users? If not, make sure their accounts are enabled.