2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge (Word 03)

I hope this is an easy question to answer. For years, I have used the same basic format to mail merge information about children into a letter that their sponsor can use to purchase Christmas gifts for the child. This year the format for the child's birthdate has changed without input from me. I checked the query to see if it returns the correct format and it does but when it merges, I get a totally different format. The format set in the table is correct so I have no idea how to correct this problem. Hopefully one of you will know exactly what to do so that I can print letters today
    Thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 03)

Open the merge document (the document with the mail merge fields).
    Right-click the mail merge field for the birth date, and select Toggle Field Codes from the popup menu.
    You should see something like { MERGEFIELD BirthDate } where BirthDate is the name of the relevant field in the data source.
    Click after the fieldname, type a space and then <code>@ "MM/dd/yyyy"</code>
    mm/dd/yyyy (between quotes) is the date format; you can change it to suit the requirements.
    The codes are:

d = day 1 - 31
    dd = day 01 - 31
    ddd = abbreviated day name Sun - Sat
    dddd = full day name Sunday - Saturday

M = month 1 - 12
    MM = month 01 - 12
    MMM = abbreviated month name Jan - Dec
    MMMM = full month name January - December

yy = two digit year, e.g. 08
    yyyy = four digit year, e.g. 2008

Example: <code>@ "dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"</code> will result in a date looking like Thursday, October 2, 2008.

When you have added the formatting switch, press F9 to hide the field code and update the result.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 03)

Thank you so much--of course, it worked perfectly.