Thanks

Backtracking a share drive

OK, so I'm back with yet another off-the-wall issue.
    This has always perplexed me but I've never had to actually worry about it until today.
    Someone maps to a share drive, and in My Computer it shows as "share name"' on "server name" - there's no information available on exactly where it is on said server. Now, theoretically this should be an easy task - just go to the server and look. But the share name only indicates the domain, NOT the specific server (there are 3). The setup is like this:

Company name is WIDGETS - server names are WIDGETS1, WIDGETS2 and WIDGETS3. The share only indicates "Backup$ on WIDGETS". Not a big help. Properties usually just echoes what you already know.

The database is used by a financial app that does a nightly backup to a specific directory. Somehow this backup also gets dropped into a separate directory named Backup; a specific employee the next day then cuts this backup file from the "Backup" directory and pastes it on a portable HDD as a secondary backup that is kept off-site at night. This whole deal was set up by my predecessor who of course is long gone.

This morning she reported that this backup file was NOT where it normally is - and of course I have no idea how it gets there, because until now it wasn't broke, so I didn't mess with it. But what I want to do is, based on the mapping on her computer, try to identify the specific location of the directory where this backup file is SUPPOSED to be, and then from that point try to figure out why it wasn't there. But it's difficult to figure out why a file wasn't somewhere, when you don't know where that "somewhere" actually is.

I hope this isn't all greek - I'm not sure how else to describe the situation, but I am more than willing to answer specific questions in order to clarify what I may not have made clear.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Backtracking a share drive

What is the desktop operating system? Are you using Citrix or Terminal Services? What show up if you use Windows Explorer and navigate through My Network Places?

BTW, on both my XP & Vista PCs here the shares show the actual machine name.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Re: Backtracking a share drive

The Desktop OS is XP, and they're connecting to the server over the LAN.

I thought I was being clever and ingenious - I opened up her window that purports to be the share (her Z drive) and tried to drop in a file with a unique name - so I could go to the server and search for that file.
    Apparently she isn't really connecting to the server - got this error when I tried to drop in the file:

<hr>Cannot copy FINDFIND: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. OK<hr>

The message sounds as if the file and not the folder isn't being found, but I created the file using Word and saved it to her desktop. Then I tried to drop it into the Z drive using her My Computer window and got this message. It gives me pause, however, that I can actually open (or it looks like I can) the Z drive using her PC - if the connection was broken I would get an error message.
    Have a cookie -

Don