Thanks

Restricted User & Malware

Did anyone else read this ZDNet blog - it came to me via a newsletter subscription?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1995&tag=nl.e539

One of the early responses reads:

RE: Cybercriminals syndicating Google Trends keywords to serve malware
    I do all my Web surfing as a Windows restricted user, which can't install anything on the system.

The only disadvantage is that I have to switch to the Administrator account to really install something. But that doesn't happen very often, and is a small price to pay to be safe from this malware.
    Posted by: Alan Balkany Posted on: 10/03/08

Perhaps I am 'late to the game' but should I reset my machine (XP-Pro SP-2) so that I can only install software via the Administrator account (I gather this is password protected and that the 'malware community' have not yet developed a way around this approach to blocking the installation of malware 'unawares?'

thanks
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restricted User & Malware

It might certainly be a good idea, but even if you don't, always keep to the following rules:
    - Never accept an offer to install something you didn't explicitly asked for yourself.
    - Never open an e-mail attachment if you're not sure about its provenance.
    - Keep your security software up-to-date.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It doesn't have anything to do with SP2 or any service pack for that matter. It's a matter of the ACCOUNT structure you use when you run your computer. If you are currently running with a user account that has administrator privileges, you can go to User Accounts in Control Panel and create a user with LIMITED rights. See my screenshot. This prevents anyone, including you, from installing anything and you will have to log off and re-logon as administrator when you want to install software or make system changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Another option is to browse in a virtual environment so your browser cannot do anything to the real file system or registry. This thread lists a few products along those lines: More Browser Security.