5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change username (WinXP (SP3))

OK, maybe I'm lazy and I'm sure the answer to my question is 'out there' somewhere.

I have a PC where the user has a name that I want to change. Now I know how to change the UserAccount name (I do not want to delete the account and make a new one; I only want to change the name), that does not change the name of the folder under Cocuments and Settings however.
    Now I know that TweakUI allows on to rename the location of My Documents. But will that allow my to DELETE the old name (once I've pointed to the new name)?

It's getting worse... when installing new software, the system also comes up by default with the old-name as suggestion for the user name. I want to change that to... is that the same thing as above?

All in all, I want the old-username to completely disappear from the system and be replaced by another name. There must be tools for that I guess. I'd appreciate if someone could hint me on how to do this quickly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change username (WinXP (SP3))

"Now I know that TweakUI allows on to rename the location of My Documents. But will that allow my to DELETE the old name (once I've pointed to the new name)?"

No, since Tweak UI, as also the built-in move My Doc feature, refers to the doc folders, and moving them, not the profile.

"... that does not change the name of the folder under Cocuments and Settings however."

The name of the folder is the name for the whole profile; for that account, see below.

To read a little about what is the Full name and what is the actual account name, see this <post:=558,165>post 558,165</post:> and thread.

To summarize, it's easy to change the Full name, the one displayed on the Welcome screen, the Start menu, in User Accounts screen CP.

The actual account name is used internally by Windows. One uses it sometimes if one has to specify the account in commands etc. The majority of users has both names the same and do not stumble on the difference. Well, it's harder to change actual account name, but possible.

This could be your "... comes up by default with the old-name as suggestion ...", i.e. the actual account name. But of course if one is logged on as the old, it will suggest that if installing from inside that account.

Finally: changing even the actual account name doesn't change the name of the profile once created, the folder that appears under the Documents and Settings folder.

Best would perhaps be to set up a new account.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To my knowledge, NO, the folders can NOT be changed only the display in all of the LINKED data.

The only way I have been able to do it, is make a NEW user and copy (move) ALL data from old to new.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. So I guess it's difficult to change the name for the whole profile but one can change the "Full name". That's too bad (but not a big problem by the way)... I'm just surprised there aren't any tools around that take care of this...